Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 DODGE RAM 1500: NEW STARTER, ALTERNATOR, BATTERY.

Customer Question
2000 DODGE RAM 1500 360...
2000 DODGE RAM 1500 360 MAGNUM. NEW STARTER, ALTERNATOR, BATTERY. ENGINE DRAGS AT START UP, BARELY TURNS OVER. AFTER STARTING, RUNS LIKE IT HAS A VACUUM LEAK FOR 5-10 MINUTES; WANTS TO TURN OFF. ENGINE SMOOTHS OUT AND RUNS NORMALLY AFTER 10 MINUTES. OIL PRESSURE OKAY, CHARGING 14 AMPS.

ALMOST LIKE VAPOR LOCK PROBLEM.

NEED HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/29/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician replied 8 years ago
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

From your description be used and inspect or replace both battery cables this slow cranking it is usually due to either a bad connection at the battery were the other end of the cables at the block or the starter solenoid . The fact that you tell me it tries to stall for a few minutes after you start it is very commonly caused by the computer or the PCM losing power during the start up process in the memory has to relearn which takes a few minutes . So replace both battery cables and also be sure that the old celery ground wire that goes from the battery up to the fender to ground the body is intact in good shape and tight

Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician

You were right, one of the ground wires was corroded at one end of the connection. Thanks for the quick answer.

Larry

You're welcome thank you very much