Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge stratus: new fuel pump new cam sender..fuel rail..injectors…

have problemn 02 dodge strasus...
have problemn 02 dodge strasus put in new fuel pump new cam sender getting fuel to fuel rail but no fire to plugs or no fuel to injectors was running but shut off after 10 min or so
6/30/2010
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello!

The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.

not sure where asd is
not sure where asd is what should voltage be on cam and crank sensors

The ASD relay is located under the hood. It is in about the middle of the top row in this diagram.

graphic

The voltage from the cam and crank signals should be a on off toggle. You would need a scope to check this signal from these sensors.

sorry about no response have to work off only after 5 pm got ? no power to 20 anp relays hear click noise at asd relay fan hi and fan lo fuel pump relay starter and eatx relay dont have any power at 20 amp stop 10 amp ignition 20 ampeatx or 20 amp start/fuel dont know about any where else no power
sorry about no response have to work off only after 5 pm got ? no power to 20 anp relays hear click noise at asd relay fan hi and fan lo fuel pump relay starter and eatx relay dont have any power at 20 amp stop 10 amp ignition 20 ampeatx or 20 amp start/fuel dont know about any where else no power still no power to injectors or coil packs replaced crank sensor cam sensor
So your saying that you have no power to the fuses under the hood or inside the vehicle?
have power inside car some power under hood only o2 sssr/alt/egr havepower on both sids of fuse20 amp injucton/coil but makes clicking noise at 20 amp relay
So you are talking about the fuse block under the hood? Only some fuses have power?
yes 20 amp relay has power when key is off clicking noise when key is on when testing with light tester
SO the noise is coming from a relay I would assume? Fuses usually don't make noises?
yes true should there be power at stop lamp ign switch start /fuel 20 amp eatx roll
having problems with site hav to go through email to respond
THis fuse might only have power to it with the brake pedal pushed. LEt me get you some diagrams... hang tight.
checked with brake applied have lights on car but no power at said fuse
Let me ask you this... does the check engine light come on with the key on?
yes shuts off after cranking
Ok.. now we need ot check the cam and crnak sensor for reference voltage. THis will ensure us that the computer is awake. There are three wires to each sensor. ONe is the reference wire, one is signal back to the computer and one is ground. Be sure to check with the key on.
have power middle prong 0.04 9.00 5.02

SO you have 9 volts on one of the wires?

yes

Ok.. good!

are the gauges still not working with this sensor unplugged?

what gauges?
On the instrument cluster.

Sorry about that... I thought this was a different post. Let me get you some wiring diagrams.

everything working inside car but wont start

Ok.. here is a diagram of some of your fuses. ALL of these fuses should have power to them key on or even with the key off. Power is supplied ot these fuses with the key off straight from the battery.

THis is the power distribution box under the hood.

graphic

dont look like mine, mine say fuse & relay center
I know... this is a wiring diagram... not the lay out of the fuses. I want to be sure that all of these fuses have power to them.
no power under hood only at both 20 amp injuction/coil and o2ssr have power to all fuses in car
Ok.. so the engine still cranks over and does not start?
yes, have power to both sensors checked with test light
Ok.. lets go back to the ASD relay. DO we have power to the ASD relay when cranking the engine over? DOes this relay click... is it getting a signal to activate when cranking the engine over?
yes the relay clicks and has power.

Ok.. good! Then the ignition coil should have power and then you should have spark while cranking.

no power
Ok... do we have power to the ignition coil when cranking?

no power to ignition coil and none to the injectors

Ok.. do we have power coming out of the asd relay when cranking?

yes coming in and out is it possible for the key to deprogram itself

You mean security system? YES.. it is possible.. are there any anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the dash?

no lights or anti theft would disconnecting battery from neg. side while car is runnig hurt it

I would not recommend doing that. I don't think it would hurt anything... but I have never tried it fearing that it could hurt something.

If there is power coming out of the ASD relay, then there should be power to the ignition coil and injectors. If not, then we simply have an open or a break in the wire from the asd relay to these items. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know.

REGARDS

Customer/p>
if coil pack is out would it stop car from starting
You mean if it is bad? Well sure.. if it is bad to the point that it is not providing spark, then yes... the engine cannot run without spark.
if only one goes bad?
ONE coil pack? NO.. this should not cause the engine to not start.

If there are two powers going into the ASD relay when cranking the engine over but it is not getting a ground signal to active from the computer, the cam or crank sensor could be bad. IN addition, the timing chain could have jumped a few teeth. This is very common on his motor.

You can check the operation of the timing chain by disconnecting the Cam Angle Sensor. During a normal startup, the Powertrain Control Module monitors the Crankshaft Position and Camshaft Position signals for proper sync alignment. On this engine, the PCM can/will start and run on only the CKP sensor (generally with lower rev-limit and longer crank time). If the engine starts and runs, or if it runs better with the CMP sensor disabled, the timing chain or flex plate is causing the problem.

Potential Causes:

Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Valve Timing

if you disconnect terminal while car is running will it erase key code
It shouldn't
will it fry the computer
I dont think so.. why... is that what you did?

yes but dont know wuts wrong

If it was a secuirty issue, then there would be a light on the dash. You can always try another key.

I believe I posted what I think is wrong with your vehicles a few posts ago. I think your timing chain might have jumped a few teeth. Go over my post and I think you will get it.

You could always try to check compression and see what you get for readings.

Please don't forget to hit the accept button. We can always continue our conversation even after you accept my answer.

if the battery terminal was disconnected will it resest the comupter to link up with key code

NO... it should not.

I can change the battery in these vehicles all day long and it will not loose the key code... I can change the battery and it will start right up without a problem.

did you do this while vehicle running? Also why would it shut off and then start back up again?

No... you replace the battery with the engine off.

Is it shutting off for you and starting right back up?

no it is not at all but im just curious. If disconnecting any or both of the terminals while its running mess up anything?

No.. I dont think it will

the check engine flashed 5 times what does this mean?

Is this with the key on?

yes

IS this when you turned the key on and off three times or does this do it every time you turn the key on?

turned the key on and it flashed 5 times

Ok...that is not relaible ... here is how you pull codes without a scanner.

OBTAINING DTC'S USING IGNITION KEY

Cycle the ignition key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON within 5 seconds .
The odometer will show the P-code for the DTC code number. Refer to the DTC chart for a detailed explanation of the DTC codes.
If no DTC's are present, the cluster will display one of two texts: "P1684" and "done" or only "done".

Please don't forget to hit the accept button so that I may receive credit for the time hat I have spent with you.

Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!

i got two codes p0123 and the p1684 what is the 1684?

will check timming have removed cam sensor before and started engine when installed 6 mo changed cam sprocket from 02 engine to 04 ran fine but could have jumped time will get back with you thanks for your help and time george

Code p1684 means the battery has been dissconnected.

P0123 Throttle Position Sensor High Voltage -

Possible Causes

TP sensor connector is damaged

TP sensor signal circuit is shorted to voltage
TP sensor return circuit is open
TP sensor has failed

have power on all fuses was checking with light tester backwards had ground on positive termanal no power to injuctors or coil packs checked timing ok have code saying no cam sensor signal detected durning engine cranking code p0340 dont knoe if new cam sensor went bad and if so what could be cause?

YUP!

This is a problem!

This code P0340 means no camshaft signal at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). P0344, Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) signal intermittent.

Either you cam sensor is bad, the wiring to the sensor is a a problem or the timing chain is broke or has jumped a few teeth. THis will definitely cause you no start condition is more than one way. THis is because not only the valve timing will be off so the engine will not breath correctly (it obviously will not start) and because the cam signal is not correct in relation to the crank sensor, the computer is confused when you are cranking over the engine and does not recognize the crank signal as correct and it will never ground the ASD relay so you will not have power to the injectors and ignition coils.

REGARDS

Customer/p>
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
heyCustomerthanks for all the info. took car in to get checked put on computer said had low fuel pressure so changed fuel pump agian cranked a few times no start let sit about half hour then crazy car started.Have app.on 14th to check to see if everything is ok have 0505 code iac code air fuel mix but runs good thanks again will get in touch with you if needed in future george
Hello!

THanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!