Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 dodge ram 1500: hemi..the check gage light comes..oil pressure

Customer Question
i have a 2003 dodge...
i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter hemi, and when im at a stop the check gage light comes on and then the oil pressure drops to low, then after a few seconds it goes back up to the half way mark, then after a few more seconds it does it again. when im driving the gage light does'nt come on at all and the oil pressure seems to be normal. It only happens when i come to a stop and seems to only do it when the vehicle warms up (after about 10 minutes or so) It is a weird problem and it is pissing me off! Any help??
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/29/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked the oil level?

How many miles are on your truck?

How often do you change the oil?

ARe there any abnormal noises when the oil pressure drops?

just changed the oil, put 6 quarts so there is enough oil. 159,000 miles,no noises when oil pressure drops

Did this only start after the oil change?

What brand of filter did you use?

Have you always ran it a quart low on oil?

Edited by sprinkles08 on 6/29/2010 at 1:49 PM EST
no it started after i bought it, about 2 days later, bosch oil filter i put 6 quarts in and it registered safe on the dipstick. Should i put in another quart? Would the oil pump be the problem?

So it was doing this both before and after you changed the oil then?

Your truck holds 7 quarts of oil. It would be a good idea to put the extra quart in and see what happens if this only started after the oil was changed.

Was there an oil change sticker in the window? If so, was it over on mileage (how far?)?

Does the pressure only drop when the engine is hot?

at first it was dropping only when i stopped, now it drops then goes back up, then drops, then goes back up while i am driving!! i am starting to think it is the oil pump, now i have a knocking noise
I definitely wouldn't keep driving it in this condition so you don't do any more damage.

If it's knocking and the pressure is dropping then you are definitely going to have to start by dropping the oil pan. Check the oil pump pickup for blockage, there may be some sludge buildup blocking the flow into the pump.

While the pan is off for that you're going to want to remove at least the rod bearing caps and look at the bearings and look for damage. If there is a knock now that means there is likely some bearing damage. If the crank still is in good condition but the bearings are damaged then you shoudl be able to get by with just replacing the bearings.

The oil pump is a possibility too, especially if the pickup is clear. If you've already got the pump and are going to have the oil pan off you are only a couple hours away from replacing the pump too, and it's not a bad idea to replace it no matter what you find with the pickup.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08