Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pickup: camper..One and a half cab to allow for a longer bed..bench…

Customer Question
Hi there, looking to buy 4x4...
Hi there,

looking to buy 4x4 pickup suitable to carry a good size camper. One and a half cab to allow for a longer bed. Full comfort in front, reasonable bench in the back. Stable, good ground clearance. New or possibly up to 5 years old w. low miles. Any suggestions for both ? Photos, drawings and specs appreciated.

Any suggestions for quality campers, pref. low/extendable top? All equipment including wc. Suitable for cold climate.
COMFORTABLE DRIVE AND RELIABILITY A MUST

your phone no. req.
Many thanks,
B. Agustsson [email protected]
(ICELAND)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/29/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX frefer the the dodge 2500 Cummins diesel, they are the most reasonably priced diesel out there, I would reccommend a 2007 or older that doesnt have the diesel particulate filter on it, the DPF reduces power and economy, wirth this ruck you carry preety much any camper out there and still get in the upper teens in fuel economy, My dodge gets 23 mpg's unloaded on the highway, anf they are the most reliable motor on the market right now, If i were going to go out in the boonies, I would not do it in anything but a Cummins engine, these come in standard , extracab, and crew cabs, I personally have the extracab, its comfprtable up front, and great for the kids in the rear, but a full size adult would be cramped in the rear, I pull a 33 ft travel trailer behind mine, with 2000lbs on the flat bed, and it pulls it with ease. i dont have alot of experiance with slide in campers, i pull fith wheels and tag-a-longs,Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you elaborate on,

different makes of trucks: lengths, road and off road stability, carrying capacity with reference to carrying a camper, ease and comfort when driving - with and without camper.
Reliability

Campers - particularly raised top for less side wind effect - heating and general quality and balance/center of gravity / effect on driving.

Have you heard of "Alascan"? - they seem to be "raisable" without canvas sides - any comments?

Can you give me websites for new and used trucks and campers.

Any advice for a beginner gratefully reveived.

All the best,

Baldur, [email protected]
Well, the chevys ride the best, XXXXX XXXXX are stiffer, but alot stronger, and the Fords i dont care for, ride or reliability, the dodges will carry a camper the best, XXXXX XXXXX get a diesel. As for stability on and off road, they should all be the same, the crew cabs will be longer then the extra and standard cabs, so getting around in the bush would be more difficult than the shorter ones, the interiors on the Fords are probably the best in the business, but I trust the DFodge for reliability the most, so that is my first concern. The Alaskan campers have a very good reputation for reliability, but they are about 5k more thn comparable campers, but i like the hard sides on the pop up, I just realy dont like the canvas ona pop up, they can rip and tear easily, and dont hold in the heat at all, The best tool for research on used campers and vehicles is E-bay, not neccessarily for buying, but for comparisson shopping and what models are available, and gives you a good idea of fair market pricing, plus many ebay sellers are experienced in international shipping, Most of the RV's in the US are made in Indiana and surrounding states and most of them advertise on E-bay, I researched my 33 ft Puma for a year, and ended up buying from a company on E-bay called Cheyenne Campers in Walcott,Iowa, they beat everyones price buy thousands, and saved me 14k over what i could have purchased it for, here in Colorado, So take the time to research it,Tim
Thanks again Tim,

"Fords i dont care for, ride or reliability", WHY

"but I trust the DFodge for reliability the most, so .." WHY AND WHAT IS DFODGE?

DOES ANYONE APART FROM ALASKAN HAVE HARD POP-UP SIDES ?

if I want an automatic, Diesel, soft stable ride and extra cab (1.5 Cab) what would you then reccommend? Long wheelbase should give softer ride - Any you care to mention?

In your recc. for a vehicle could you pls mention both new ones and used ones.

AND which camper: well insulated, pop up, all conveniences for two travelling.

ANY web pages that specialise in the vehicles - new and used ?

Reliable engine and drive train ?? Economy. Any with permanent AWD + hi/low

Any way I can get you on the phone ??

all the best
Baldur

my fingers are fat today, I meant Dodge, not Dfodge, I would not reccommend the auto transmission for any of these, they are not as reliable, the dodge autos and the alison transmission in the chevy'scan create problems if you are far from home, both these transmissions can be beefed up to make them more reliable, but the chevys have problems with the oil cooler lines breaking, and when they do, it will leave you stranded, there are several RV forums online that discuss the different campers, the one I use the most is www.rvforums.net As for the Fords not being reliable, the 6.0 diesel has major problems with the head gasket blowing,Tim

SO Tim,

as far as you are concerned Fords an Chevys are out. you say auto gearboxes in
Dodge can be beefed up - what does that mean? Is it maybe a Heavy duty version that can be ordered when new, but perhaps rearly found on used ones ?? I do really insist on auto.How many gears are they ?

Can adj. air suspension be added to make the ride softer when camper is not carried ?

what is Dodge most reliable diesel and gas engines?

Any comment on AWD, long wheelbases and pop-up campers with hard walls?

Baldur

The transmissions can beefed up with aftermarket torque converters and input shafts, and valve bodies, they dont come from the factory beefed up, this is something you would have to have done at a transmission shop, the dodge 5.9 diesels, 24 valve motors will go to 500k miles without problems, you will want o install aset of airbags on the rear suspension to carry the camper, then you let the air out of them when the camper is removed, i have a set of firestone bags on mine, they run about 200 dollars, i dont reccomend AWD, the wear and tear makes these unreliable, the 4wd is always engaged, so unneccessary wear on the front differential and transfer case takes place,tim

Any comments onphone nos., long wheelbases and pop-up campers with hard walls? so what model of Dofge are we talking about. ?

Baldur

i reccomend the 2000 to2007 dodge 2500, extracab, witha 5.9 diesel and a long bed. We are not allowed to talk to customers on the phone, only on this site, and I dont have alot of experience with the pop up campers, just the tag a longs and fith wheels,Tim
Would this Dodge you describe also be the right vehicle to pull a fifth wheel should I later want to switch to that - and up to what size.?

Also can these Diesel engines be converted to run on Methane ?

How do I get hold of YOU if I have more questions later.

AND Finally, you have been very helpful and this has taken more time than I expected. If I want to pay you sligthtly more than the $23 - how to I do that??

all the best,
Baldur
Yes, these are ideal for pulling fifth wheels, and it can handle up to about 12k pound fifth wheels without modifications, they cant be converted to methane , but we do run propane injection to increase power and mileage. If you need to ask more questions, just reply back to this question in the future, and if you are happy with my help, when you push the ACCEPT button, there is a place to put in a bonus, but it is not required, but appreciated,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Is that they CAN or CANNOT be converted to methane ?? - and why?

Baldur
No, it cant be converted to methane, that is not to run on methane alone, it can be fitted with a propane injection system, but it is tosuppliment the diesel, not run on propane alone,Tim