Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1994 DODGE INTREPID: STALLS..DIE..WONT..TROTTLE, PULL OVER WAIT AWILE…

1994 DODGE INTREPID STALLS BUT...
1994 DODGE INTREPID STALLS BUT DOES NOT DIE BUT WON'T RESPOSED TO TROTTLE, PULL OVER WAIT AWILE AND YOU CAN GO AGAIN
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello!

What is the engine vacuum at idle or at 2500 rpm?

What is the fuel pressure at?
did not check vacuum but fuel pressure was good according to spics in the repair manual
So it does not idle?...correct? Also has no power?
I would start by making sure that there are no air or vacuum leaks. IN addition, I would check to be sure the idle air control motor is working. If everything checks out ok, then I would check the timing chain. IT could have jumped, hoped (a few teeth) or stretched.
Here is a diagram.

graphic
car does idle fine but can't give it any trottle seems to happen after going downhill coasting
Well it very well could be because the valve timing is off. WHat is the engine compression at?
i havn't checked compression and this does not happen all the time i drove the car at 70-85mph for 30-40min before it stall after going down a long hill by stall i mean i could not give the gas
Are there any codes in the computer?
yes i have had po171 lean in bank 1 light does not come on after this happens
Well, you either have a vacuum leak or your valve timing is off. I would start by smoking the intake first with a smoke machine before pulling the timing cover.
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
THanks for the accept. Just some other ideas... you can try spraying starting fluid into the intake when the engine is bogging down and see if the engine comes ot life. IF so, then you just have a lack of fuel. If this is the case and fuel pressure is ok, then we need ot look at the inputs to the pcm for injector pulse width like tps, coolant temp sensor and MAP sensor.