Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2005 Ram 1500: Quad cab w/5.7 hemi..my truck..bolt up in place

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 2WD Quad cab w/5.7 HEMI. I am being told that i need to replace the entire rear end of my truck. Will a Dodge HD 2500 2WD rear end bolt up in place of the 1500? If not what are my options for replacement? I want something more Heavy Duty then the stock 1500 rear end. I was going to try and find one out of a wrecked truck.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX 2500 wont bolt up to this, so you need to find a rear out of a 1500, the shocks and mounts are different. why did they say you needed the entire rear end? Why cant it be rebuilt?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told that it would be more expensive to rebuild the rear end as oppose to finding a used one with low miles. is there any way that I can beef up the rear end of the 1500? I pull a 30ft travel trailer while hauling a 4 wheeler in the back of the truck. The engine has 104,000 mile but is still very strong. I dont want to get a new truck unless i absolutely have to.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 years ago.
You can beef it up , but that would run about 1400 to rebuild with beefier parts, you can find a good used one for around 700, but it will just be stock, so if your going to beef it up, you might as well use your old rear end and build it up, you can use the 2500 rear end, but you will need to have new spring perches and shock mounts welded on th ot so it can be bolted up, this may be the least expensive and give you the strength you need,Tim