Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab: 4WD..Pickup..Cummins..Turbo Diesel…

Customer Question
Hello. Some background. I drive...
Hello. Some background. I drive a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4WD Pickup with a Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. The truck is equipped with an Edge Power Module (with Juice Attitude Controller, a K&N cool air filtration system, and a Banks 4" exhaust from the turbo back. I live about 60 miles north of Dallas / Fort Worth, TX. (just moved here from California by way of Idaho, a total of 2600 miles), so it is very hot and humid here. No problems with the engine during the trip at all). The check engine light has been on for about TWO YEARS and the only code we ever got out of it had to do with the wastegate in the turbo. After talking this over with an after market turbo company I decided to let well enough alone. The truck runs great and has a lot of power.
NOW TO THE PROBLEM AT HAND. Two days ago, I drove the truck to a location several miles from my home and parked. When I went back to the truck, it would not start.
The engine turned over just fine, but the engine will not start. It acts as if it were out of fuel (half tank left). I had the truck towed home and there it sits. I've tried several times to start it since, but it just acts the same. My neighbor came over with his hand held diagnostic code reader and got one code from it. It said ECM PCM Power input signal intermittent P2509. Can you tell me what to do next. I am a fairly good backyard mechanic.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/28/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

The 2509 code is for a loss of battery voltage to the ECM. This can be caused by a blown fuse, poor/corroded connections at the battery or ECM wire harness connection. Test the wires at the ECM to see if they have battery voltage on them.

The smaller of the 2 connectors should have 3 red wires with constant battery voltage on them.

When I read your answer I realized that while I was attempting to get the truck to start I actually disconnected all wiring leading to both batteries, left them disconnected for about five minutes and then connected them again to see if maybe that would reset something. Obviously that did not help. So does this mean the code has nothing to do with the original problem? Also I'm not sure what the ECM looks like or where exactly to find it. I presume it is in the engine compartment, but where and what does it look like? I have to go run an errand right now so it will be a while before I can get back to you, so take your time. thanks. Bill

Ok, disconnecting the battery will set this code and the reason it states that the power is "intermittant" is because you have now restored the power by reconnecting the battery. So, you can ignore that code.

With the absence of any other codes, this is going to be a fuel system problem relating to the injectors. This is a relatively common scenario on these engines and what happens is the injectors plug up over time and eventually end up sending more fuel back to the tank than is desirable and not enough fuel gets into the cylinders to get the engine running.

What you need to do is have the fuel system tested for excess return flow and this requires a couple of special fittings. These fittings are not easy to find unless you were to special order them, so your Cummins or Dodge dealer is the best place to have this testing done. Don't be surprised if you are told you need all 6 injectors replaced because this is what it takes sometimes.

Relist: Answer quality.
I just cannot believe that fuel injection system could just all of a sudden become defective, without giving me any warning signs. I COULD believe a fuel pump failure, a fuel filter failure, an electrical component failure, or ?. But to suggest that I should take the truck to a dealer is ironic, since obviously I used your service because I would like to troubleshoot the vehicle myself. And ALL SIX INJECTORS AT ONE TIME !! Really ?? I would like an expert that would give me at least more insight than my Haynes Manual.
Best of luck with this....