Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Dakota: AC cuts off on on warm days..outside temp..local dealer…

Customer Question
2000 Dakota (4.7/Auto) AC cuts...
2000 Dakota (4.7/Auto) AC cuts off on on warm days. It works fine if the outside temp is bleow 80. I have spent to much money for no results at the local dealer. The freon charge is fine. It always works fine when the car has been sitting for a few hours even if temp is 95. If I slow down in trafic or stop and turn the engine off it will stop cooling. My engine temp shows to be about 180 on the guage. I think that there is a temp sensor that is bad or sticks that keeps the compressor from comming back on when it is hot outside. I did a little experiment that backs this up. I drove the truck to the store (99 degrees out and about 11 miles away) the AC worked fine going to the store. When I came out of the store 30 minutes later, the AC will only blow hot air all of the way home. I got home and sprayed a hose thru the radiator for about 10 minutes, the compressor kicked in and the AC started cooling fine again.

Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/28/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello!

When the AC is not working, does the compressor kick on? If not, are we missing power to the compressor?

DO you know what the AC pressures are at when the AC does not work?

First, when the AC is not working the compressor does not kick on. When I got everything very cool with the water hose, it did kick on. This is what makes me think that it is sensor.

Second, The dealer said that the pressures were "within spec".

I do not believe they paid attention to what the issue was. There is no way that the AC would have behaved if the truck was driven a few miles and then shut off or idled for a few minutes before trying.

I would agree with you that you most likely have a bad AC pressure switch. HOwever, the trick is to find out which one. THere are I believe three total. With the AC on, I would disconnect each sensor one at a time and try jumping the connector and make sure that the compressor comes on when you do this.

If the pressures are good, there should be continuity through both the high and low pressure switch. THis will allow the voltage to flow from one side of the connector to the other side telling the computer to turn on the compressor.

You haven't told me anything that has not already been checked. I am giving up and will try to find a dealer that doesn't want to charge me $100 - 200 and tell me there is nothing wrong because they do not listen to the problem description. I supect that there is a temp sensor somewhere that is not reading correctly and causing the problem (either it lies to the computer which is not letting the compressor come on or is a third sensor wired in series with the H/L pressure switches) BTW, I used to be and ASE Cert. Mech. about 25 years ago before changing careers.

Ok.. well it is going to be either the high pressure switch, low pressure switch or AC temp switch causing your problem... or a wiring issue. Each sensor will need to be checked individually. Of if you had a scanner or access to a scanner that could read the AC pressures... that would be the only way around around testing each sensor.