Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 dodge: hemi..engine running..it again engine light comes on…

Customer Question
2004 dodge hemi...
2004 dodge hemi stops and will not go in any gear with engine running? turn off and back on and works for a little while then does it again engine light comes on
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/28/2010
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

You stated the check engine light is on. Do you have any codes from the computer?

Customer:

no

Customer:

dont have a scanner

Customer:

it will go about 30 yards and slip and you stop and turn the key off then start again it goes into drive hard

brownjeff :

Many times you can get the code number/s by turning the key on and off three times. Do not crank the engine and leave the key on the last time. It will look like this. ON OFF ON OFF ON. then the numbers will show up in the odometer area.

Customer:

hold on trying this

brownjeff :

ok....let me know

Customer:

it will not show any codes shows mileage only

brownjeff :

If that doesn't work I suggest trying a parts store as they will check the codes for free. Will need to get the number/s as this will narrow down the problem. Also when turning the key on and off it needs to be done with in a couple seconds.

Customer:

ok will go to parts store and do that for now thanks

brownjeff :

ok. After you get the codes if you still need help just reply back and we can continue.