Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2004 Dodge Ram 1500: magnum..the spark plugs..fuel filter..alternator

I have a "2004 Dodge...
I have a "2004 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7 magnum engine" My truck was having problems starting I replaced the starter and it is still having problems turning over. the spark plugs are new also. I hope it's just a "ignition switch" don't want to replace a fuel filter or pump let alon an alternator. what could it be, Not getting any DTC's from computer read out?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

When you say it has problems turning over do you mean the starter doesn't turn the engine over or slow? Or does the starter turn the engine over and it doesn't start?

Customer:

the starter is turning over just fine takes about 15 seconds to start

Customer:

but seems to get worse and worse

Customer:

err engine

brownjeff :

Does it do this after the vehicle has sat for a while?

If you shut it off and start it right back will it still take a long time to start?

Customer:

cold starts are slow and once the engine is hot it starts a little faster

brownjeff :

What your describing then is either the fuel pump leaking down or the injectors leaking down. If after it starts the idle is rough then it is most likely an injector problem. If it idles good after starting then most likely a fuel pump problem. The best way to see if the fuel pressure is leaking down is to attach a fuel gauge start the engine then shut it off and see if the pressure drops

Customer:

I thought it was fuel pump oh man lol didnt want it to be that

Customer:

yeah idlel is great

brownjeff :

Sorry......but this is what your describing a fuel pump. Check the pressure to make sure, but I think you will find replacing the pump will fix the problem.

Customer:

thank you wondered why it wasnt throwing DTC's at me, i will try this out

brownjeff :

Your welcome.

Please click ACCEPT if we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Customer:

thank you again

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician