Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

92 dodge caravan: im replacing the caliper and pads..sort of pin thing…

i have a 92 dodge...
i have a 92 dodge caravan im replacing the caliper and pads, but i have some sort of pin thing that i dont know what to do with
6/27/2010
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello!

WHat is the pin thing that you are talking about? Can you upload a picture?

i can take a pic with my camera but where do i upload it to?
There is a upload button in the tool par. It has a picture of a green tree. It is close to the smiley face.
ya i dont see this smile or a tree. is it something on my internet or the this page?

YUP!

Do you see your reply box? THere is a tool bar on top of the reply box.

no it just says check spelling or need help

Here it is. I circled the upload picture button.

graphic

ya mine doesnt look like that. I will tell u its flat on the top and boxes out on the left and right sides with the 2 parts coming up and being next to each other in the middle. I dunno I can try opening up with IE maybe that will help
graphic

Got it!

THat is supposed to slide on the spindle or the part that the brake pad sits on to keep the pad in place. It is hard to explain but it sits on top of it and the brake ban when installed correctly pushes it down holding it on.

nope im confused. does it attach to the caliper?
NO... not the caliper. THe part of the hub or the spindle where the pads sit on.

Look at the top part of each picture.

graphic

graphic

so is it one of like the last things u put on?

Nope... it is one of the first.

You pull off the caliper and both pads. THen the clip goes on first, then the inside pad and then the caliper with the outside pad last.

so the clip goes on with the 2 latches facing out i put on the inside pad placeing the hook upder this thing?
graphicright?? And do both pads latch under it?

Close... the clip is upside down. Take it off and flip it 180 degrees but keep the latches facing outwards. YES.. the two latches face outwards otherwise it would hit the rotor.

After the clip is put in place or hooked on the metal bracket, then you put the seat the inside pad in place. THis will hold it steady from going anywhere.

You might have to put the clip in place, put the inside pad in place, then the rotor then the caliper with the outside pad on in that order for it to work.

graphic

graphic

So only the inside pad gets hooked under this?

NO... they both do..

PUt the clip on the right side and then hold up the left hand side of the clip and then put the inside pad on. THen you will be able to put the rotor on and then the caliper and the outside pad.

sigh im so sorry .... this thing will latch on the pad right?

LOL.. you are making me work for this accept...

No... it does not latch on the pad.. it latches on the slide that holds the pad in place. Then when you install the pads, they hold it in place with the edges.

im so sorry hun this is the first time i even seen one of these. So this thing just hooks onto the part then i sit my break pads in place blah blah blah. But nothing actually goes under it or over it?

graphic

YUP! THat should be it!

AS long as the pads are in nice and snup and the rotor will turn without hitting this clip, you got it in correct!

well they are all there it just doesnt seem to be serving any purpose. Its not touching the roter in the back so thats good. but it doesnt seem to be touching the pads either.

It is designed to push the pads down to keep them from rattling or vibrating when driving and braking. It might be slightly bent from the different angles it was on... you could use a different one or you could bend it back.

It would not be the end of the world if you did not use it... the only thing that would happen is the pads might clank when you go from forward to reverse.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to hit the "accept" button if you have found my answer helpful. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
you have been very helpful. I am so sorry to have put u through this. But thank you so much!!

No problem!

Have a great day!

u too hun =)
Wink
now the back rubber things are getting in the way of getting the bolts back in... is that bad? they keep poping back out or something
WHat back rubber things? Can you take another picture?
graphic
Ok... I see the picture... but what part are you talking about? What part is in the way?
the black rubbery thing keeps pushing out rather then going in. Got the bolt in but will it be an issue later?
Are you talking about the small boot that goes over the slide?
If that is what you are talking about, you most likley do not have it lined up correctly.