Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

96 ram 2500: trans has no overdrive..limp home mode, 3rd only..1st-2nd…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 96...
Hi, I have a 96 ram 2500 diesel. trans has no overdrive,also will not shift seems to be in limp home mode, 3rd only. it will shift maually 1st-2nd-3rd. truck was driving fine hit brakes in traffic and no more o/d or shifting. any idea's thanks jim.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Has anything else started at the same time? Does the fuel gauge still work, does it still charge ok?

still charging, gauges work, tach works. I replaced crank sensor last year. trans acting same way it did with bad crank sensor, but no other similar symptoms.

Let's see if we can get some fault codes out of it. If you don't have a code reader we'll use the flash code method.

Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch for the check engine light to flash. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. After the last time you turn the key on the engine light will come on and then go off, after a pause it will come back and start flashing. It will flash up to 9 times and then pause. Count the flashes between the pauses - this is a code digit. Write down all digits you see in order and post them here.

checked codes, not sure how many codes can be stored but, codes 12,37,42,22,55 flashed.

The 12 just means the battery has been disconnected. Nothing to worry about there. The 42 and 22 won't be related.

The 37 could be related but should only point to a problem with fourth gear. The flash code method isn't that accurate sometimes though.

You said it's in limp-in know, third gear only. Was it having problems with just fourth gear before it went into limp-in, or was the trans fine and all of a sudden all you had was third?

no problems at all. I was driving 65-70 slowed down for traffic when I hit the brakes about 45-50 trans comes out of o/d or lock-up and didnt go back in had to finish ride at 45 mph. drove truck today, and it is not shifting stays in 3rd.

Do you have a parts store close? Since the 37 code is a trans code but doesn't really correlate, I'm wondering what actual P codes are set. The flash code method is often vague, and it would be nice to know what actual codes are set. Almost all parts stores will read codes for free with a code reader in the parking lot if you had one close. I could give you some possible causes or a best guess as to what is going on, but I'd rather be more exact if possible.

parts stores are all closed now, I can get it checked tomorrrow.

That would be great if you could. I'd really hate to guess and have you spend money that you didn't have to!

ok thanks

You're welcome!