Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Dodge intrepid: i saw in a TSB that it was the solenoid pack…

Customer Question
I had a code p1776...
I had a code p1776 in my 2002 Dodge intrepid. So i saw in a TSB that it was the solenoid pack. So i replaced it. Now the Transmission code has gone away the ABS light and BRAKE light are now illuminated. And it won't communicate with the scan tool on the ABS line.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your scan tool has been able to communicate with the ABS module before, correct?

Have you checked all fuses?

Yes i was able to communicate with everything. I first thought it was fuses as well so I checked all underhood ABS fuses. The only problem with the car before was the P0700 which is the DTC mode and the P1776. Then I saw the TSB to replace the Solenoid pack so I replaced and Transmission shifts fine. However I now notice that right away when you start the car the ABS light illuminates and the BRAKE light. But when I check for codes scan tool reads No DTC! However using a MODIS to try to read the ABS diagonostics it will not communicate and says check ignition and cables.
Do you have a voltmeter to do some electrical testing?
Yes...

You're going to have to go right to the ABS module and check it's powers and grounds. Look over the wiring and connector, then unplug it and check for any damage or corrosion to the pins. If ok, check for:

power on the red/dark blue in pin 9

Power on the red/dark green in pin 24

Power on the white/violet wire in pin 10 with the key on

Ground on pin 1 and 16

The violet/yellow wire in pin 5 is the PCI bus communication wire. With the key on meausure the voltage on this wire and let me know what you see.

Is the ABS tied into the TRS wiring? Beings thats the only thing I've had to unhook when dropping the valve body to replace the Solenoid pack.

This isn't related to dropping the valve body unless you damaged a wire to the ABS module somehow.

It could possibly be in a harness or connector due to the Heating and Air Conditioning controls being inoperative as well? The blower motor is still working on one speed only but does not change in any speed. And there is no Display.

That sounds like a separate problem but could be related if a bad control head was taking the bus down. You woudln't be able to communicate with any modules, the ABS, check engine, and airbag lights would all be on.

Turns out the A/C and heater controls are associated with the ABS system. I apparently was checking the wrong fuses. After checking all of the ABS fuses I checked the Heater Control fuse #17 of the instrument panel and it was blown. Must've blown when the battery was reconnected. But anywho that turned off the ABS light and BRAKE light and everything else is operating properly.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!