Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

dodge neon: timing belt..mechanic says he cant figure..lacks…

Customer Question
My dodge neon runs rough...
My dodge neon runs rough when cold. The timing belt was just replaced and the mechanic says he can't figure out why the car is running rough when cold. It lacks the power it once had. and it seems to me like it's missing, but the mechanic said it isn't and pointed out the the roughness smooths out when taken out of drive. I just change the pcv valve, that didn't help. another mechanic claimed it was the engine mounts, but if it's the engine mounts why would the care run smoother when the engine warms up? what could be the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, was this problem there before the timing belt was replace?
yes. the mechanic said the running rough problem was because the timing belt needed to be replaced. He replaced the timing belt and the problem is still there. Actually the problem may be slightly worse now.
ok, if the timing belt was not align properly this will happing due to a none balance damper on the crank shaft, make sure he align the timing mark on the pulleys up on replacement because if he only install the belt on the same settings it had before then the problem will be worst.,have you done a compression test?
No on the compression test. He said he lined everything up and everything was in sync.
what should the compression be?
make sure you copy or print right away.

Compression Pressure 1172 - 1551 kPa (170 - 225 psi)
Maximum Variation Between Cylinders 25%