Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 Ram 1500 Erratic Idle, Hemi 5.7, rough idle, oxygen sensor…

Customer Question
2003 Ram 1500 Erratic Idle...
2003 Ram 1500 Erratic Idle, Hemi 5.7, rough idle, oxygen sensor at 2.5 volts while removed from manifold, in park. put it into drive and the o2 sensor goes right down to 0volts. idle jumps, while in park when cold, from(NNN) NNN-NNNNpm. chrysler recommends a new computer, pcm, but I have the ST model, no cruise control, so my computer is backorder. Plus, if putting it in drive (usually) solves the problem, maybe it is the tranny computer? Also, pushing in the overdrive lockout button, brigns the rpm up from 2,000 to 3,000 and solve sthe problem when running rough on the highway.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

HI,this problem can be cause by the transmission controller, this will set a code on the TCM and turn the engine light on. usually when you have an engine light on the tech will always just enter the pcm module and look for codes and wont check for tcm codes because there are no trnsmission problems present at that moment, if you have a diferebce on rpm as you activate or deactivate the overdrive then its posible the problem lyes on the transmission, you should have the transmission controller scann for codes and if no codes precent. and if the engine light is on. then replace the pcm.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
is there anyway to reset the TCM to clear out the codes, to see if that fixes it?
i want to reset both computers, found this on the net, where's the pcm fuse/

here's how I did it on my 06. Pull pcm fuse, get in truck and close door, turn and hold key to run, 1 ding means pcm reset, 2nd ding means tcm reset, turn off key, replace pcm fuse. [/align]
ok, erasing the codes will not fix the problem, but it will reset the transmission and pcm values back to specs, and i guess its worth trying ,the setting you are describing is for a remote programing not for memory reset. what you need to do is disconnect the negative side of the battery terminal end with the cable disconnected reach over to the positive side of the battery and just touch the terminal for 30 seconds this will erase all the capacitors holding corrupt memory and reset them to factory specs when you reconnect the battery. then road test see if it help.
i don't quite understand the procedure with the battery, can you pls clarify? I'll remove the negative cable from the battery,ok that is clear.
then what do I touch the connected positive side of the battery with?
i would think, touching the negative cable to the positive side of the battery could be really bad, couldn't it? sounds scary. don't want to blow up my computers...
with the same negative wire ones disconnected from the post reach over to the positive side of the battery and just touch them together for 30 seconds
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
OK man, i'm going for it. sure hope you're right.
oak.