Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan: trans..4 quarts of atf-4 I..down shift…

Customer Question
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8...
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 After changing the trans filter and added 4 quarts of atf-4 I am having trouble with 2nd to 1st down shift is hard. never had any problem before this change. there are no other problems with shifting. any help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
HI, this will normally happing when not enough transmission fluid has been added to the transmission and driven with it low, the computer at this point is trying to reset the clutch values and they are still to low, first you need to check the transmission level with engine at operating temperatures and running, if the level is low wish i think it is, then add more fluid to level, disconnect the negative side of the battery and reconnect afterXXXXXtest vehicle at normal speeds and see if any difference.
sorry to say that didn't help. The fliuds was only about 1/2 quart low and removed the Neg side for about 10 mins. When I was changing the fluid, the pan was off for about 15 min as i clean the pan (it wasn't that drity) I let the trans drip. The new filter came with a o-ring, when i removed the old filter I don't remember seeing a old o-ring. Would that make a differents. Thanks
this you install a new seal with the new filter?
yes I installed.a o-ring ,filter, cork gasket, and add 4 quarts. When I first started the van there was a pause in the trans as I when from rev to foward. when i first check the fluid after putting everthing together it showed level. After driving 10 minsit showed over fill on the stick when it was hot. but after sitting over night it was normal in the morning.
ok, this transmission takes 5 quarts of transmission fluid not 4 quarts this is a 604 transmission and its total capacity is 11 quarts with torque converter empty, but you just did the transmission filter then that will leave the transmission with 6 quarts, wish means you need 5 quarts to refill. this problem is very much a problem with fluid level low, this will make the transmission act the way its acting, how many quarts have you install?
I put 4 quarts in when I changed the filter. Thats what the part store show me on their computer. I will check it agian in the morning. Thanks
no you need 5 full quarts and if you let the transmission drip for more then half hour then you probably need 5- 1/2 quarts if the transmission level is low the TCM will try to compensate for the low pressure and will delay transmission shift and also delay in stop wish will cause a thump on stop. or on every shift.