Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Dodge: The engine rotates but will not start

Customer Question
I recently purched a 2002...
I recently purched a 2002 Dodge 1500 4.7. The engine rotates but will not start.
I need a starting point.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Do this for me: sit in the truck and close the doors. Then cycle the ignition switch on and off 3 times (on/off/on/off/on) do not try to start it, Then look at the odometer display and see if there is a "P"code displayed. If there is, let me know what it is.

Chris

The PO code is PO113.

Ok, p0113 is for the intake air temp sensor voltage high. This can occur if the connector to the intake air temp sensor was disconnected, but will not prevent the engine from starting. Hmmm, when you turn the ignition switch to the "on/run" position, can you hear the fuel pump in the tank run for about 2 minutes and then turn off?

Chris

The fuel pump is working. Ithink this may be a timing problem? Engine back fires through intake when first turned over. There isn't any noise from the timing cover or valve train. I need a starting point be fore I tare this thing down.

Ok, Let's start with the basics and perform a compression test. Let me know what the results are.

Chris