Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Battery checked..the security light in the truck isnt flashing...its…

Customer Question
i went and had the...
i went and had the battery checked, and the battery is good...not sure what else the problem can be. the security light in the truck isnt flashing...its just a solid light now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/27/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Welcome back!

How was the battery checked? It needs a true load test, not a hand held computerized tester.

What happened when this first happened? Did the engine start and die three times, and then quit cranking?

Or did it just not crank?

How bright are the headlamps?

Does the check engine light come on and then go out when you turn the key on?

-it was just a hand test

-it didnt start and die on its own. just when i turned on the fog lights. a week ago when the ABS and brake light were on the truck shut off while i was driving, and immediately after that i tried to start it again but none of headlamos would come on. i hooked up cables to jump it and that worked. since then i have changed the ABS (rear) and those lights are no longer up.

- it cranked up just fine. then died when i turned on the lights, but when i started it back up it started idleing hard and high kinda sparadic, and the ETC light came on. i shut the truck off. then craked it up again and then it ran fine.

-the headlamps wont come on at all.

-no the check engine light does not come on.

We either need to get a voltmeter and do some testing or you need to swap in a known good battery like I suggested. You've got very low battery voltage throughout the vehicle, whether it's a low battery or poor connection.

ok i found a volt meter...bare with me...im not very educated on how to use these( i know the positive and negative and thats about it haha).

Set the meter to 20v DC. Put the black lead in the center of the battery negative post, and the red lead in the center of the positive battery post. Record the voltage shown on the meter.

Then turn the headlamps on, record the voltage on the meter.

Leave the lights on for about 30 seconds, turn them off. Wait about a minute and then re read the battery voltage at rest. Record that voltage and let me know what you see.

-the battery read 12.6v

-turned the key to where the headlamps should come on and tested again. 12.6v again. (the only light the comes on when i turn the key is the milage and when i let it sit there in that position for a couple seconds...the security light goes out and so does the milage)

-turned them for 30 sec, waited and still got 12.6v

Open the fuse box cover and you will find a positive cable mounts to the fuse box with a 13mm nut. Make sure this is tight and there are no signs of green corrosion. If there is, disconnect the battery and then remove this cable and clean the connection, reassemble everything and retry it.

If that doesn't help then let me know and we'll move on.

took of the wire. wasnt really any corrosion, but i cleaned it anyway. tried it again and nothing. still doing the same thing.

Put the black test lead in the center of the battery ground post. Take the red lead over to one of the ground lug bolts on the left inner fender. With the meter set to 20v DC, turn the headlamps on and read the voltage on the meter.

voltage was 0.0

-could it be the solenoid/starter?

The starter could cause it to not crank, but it woudln't cause the headlamps to not work or the security light to stay on.

Let's do the same sort of test, leaving the one lead on battery negative, take the other lead to a good unpainted grounded engine part. Hold the key in the crank position and read the voltage on the meter.

-tried it it read 0.0

-i even tried while on the positive it read 12.3 in the crank position

Let's go to the positive side now. Put one lead in the center of the post, and then take the other lead over to that cable at the fuse box I mentioned. Turn the headlamps on and read the voltage.

-tired it out it read 0.0

-tried with the negative post and touching the wire and it read 12.5

Find fuse 14 in the power distribution center. Note that on top of the fuse there are two open terminals used for testing. Put the black lead of your meter on battery ground, use the red lead to probe the open terminals on top of the fuse. Record the voltage.

Then swap your black lead from the battery negative terminal to battery positive, keep the red lead at this fuse in the fuse box. Have a helper hold the key to the start position and read the voltage.

-first try with the ground it read 0.0

-2nd time it read with the crank 12.3

There are two open terminals on the top of each fuse. Do you get the same reading on each one? You could also pull the fuse out and see if it's blown.

its not the type of fuse with the open terminals...its a 30W fuse that it is like a box that you have to take a cap off of to put the lead into it.

Sorry! We don't have to worry about it being blown then.

Try fuse 15, a 50 amp. Just check for voltage there with the black lead of your meter on ground.

it read 12.6

Do the park lamps work?

What about interior things like the radio, blower motor, etc.

nope...none of them work

Are you up for pulling the fuse box up and removing the front control module from the side of it? The FCM is the silver module on the left side of the fuse box. If you can remove the module I'd like to check it's power feeds.

yea im here to do whatever it take to get this thing runnin again...haha

Ok. You'll see one 13mm bolt that holds the fuse box to the inner fender, and one push pin that holds it at the bottom/front. Remove these two. Then slide the box towards the passenger side, it has to tabs that slide and lock it into the battery box. Once you slide it to the right then push it forward out of the battery box and pull it up.

Remove the four screws that hold the FCM to the fuse box, turn the FCM over and you will see the terminals are numbered on the ends. Find pins 3,4 6 and 7, and then find their mates on the fuse box side. Use a straightened paperclip in the fuse box side in these terminals, and check for battery voltage at each one.

there were 12.6 volts to all that you asked for

On the ground terminal at the battery you will find another cable with an eyelet that goes behind the terminal nut, this cable goes over to the inner fender. Remove this cable at the negative terminal, clean the eyelet an the terminal area. Then remove it and the eyelet under it where it mounts to the inner fender, clean and reassemble. See if this changes anything.

ok...i cleaned those connnections good. plugged the FCM back in and truck started up with the brake and ABS lights coming on. after i bolted everything back up i tried to start it again but it went back to its original problem. so i unbolted the fuse box again tapped the FCM and the truck started up again. so i bolted all back up then truck wouldnt start again with the same problems....haha. so i unbolted again and tapped the FCM and got nothing so i looked underneath and wiggled all the harness plug-ins there and truck started up again with the brake and ABS light still on....so it seems that the problem is definitely in the fuse box or on it somewhere. should i try driving it to autozone to use their OBD II hook up to see exactly which ABS it really is?

Autozone probably won't be able to help you with anything but basic engine and trans code reading, they're unlikely to be able to communicate with your ABS module.

Honestly I believe your problem is internal in the fuse box, but I wanted to exhaust all other possibilities first. you are losing your battery voltage inside the fuse box, we had verified that when we checked for voltage right at the starter fuse. The starter relay fuse we checked had no power, and 12.3v drop. It gets a power feed directly from the positive cable that comes into the fuse box, the one I had you remove and clean earlier. Tapping on the fuse box and getting it to start a couple times in a row pretty much proves that the problem is internal in it.

ok....so any advise on how to correct this problem? unplug the harnesses underneath the fuse box and clean everything?

You could try that, unplugging all connectors and looking for corrosion on the connectors or the fuse box side. If you don't see anything then the problem is most likely in the fuse box itself.

ok ill give that a shot and see what happens

Let me know how it goes!

ok i disconnected everything underneath and blew out any dust and brushed with a soft brush. bolted everything back together and it wouldnt start again. so i just banged the top of the fuse box twice and the truck would start up with the ABS and brake light on. when i started to drive the ABS and brake light would go out. and once when i tried to turn on my fog lights the truck would die like it did before. so i guess all i can do now is take it to a dealer and let them take care of it.

I'm afraid you're going to need a fuse box. That has been my thought on it through the testing we have done, and you've pounded on it yet again and have gotten it to start. I believe that a fuse box is going to take care of it, and it's something you can handle yourself. You've already had it out and apart, so you shoudl be able to save some money by replacing it yourself.

ok thanks a lot for your help i really do appreciate your patience. i will refer everyone i can to you if they have any issues. thank you so very much and have a wonderful day.

You're welcome, and have a wonderful day yourself!