Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 dodge: quad cab, 4.7 Liter, 4x4..blow..intermittently…

We have a 2002 dodge...
We have a 2002 dodge 1500 quad cab, 4.7 Liter, 4x4. Over the winter the heat would blow intermittently and cut out all together. now it won't blow at all. We have replaced the relay, resistor, blower motor ans the switch on the dash. All the fuses are good. We still are not getting any air blowing at all. When the A/C switch is turned on, the compressor will kick in, but still no air. What next?
6/27/2010
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is almost surely the ignition switch. The blower motor gets a direct power feed from the ignition switch, no relay involved. The switch can end up overheating and cause the blower to run intermittently or sometimes not at all.

Remove the steering column shrouds and unplug the ignition switch on the left side. Look in the connector and the back of the switch for heat damage. If you see signs of heat then replace the switch. If the connector is damaged from the heat then your dealer can get you a connector package also.

In attempting to remove shrouds, we can't get the steering column height adjuster off. We have removed the screws but can't pull the bottom shroud off because of the lever.
Grab it and pull, it just snaps on. Sitting in the seat, rotate it down a little and give it a sharp tug towards you and it will come off.
we have dropped the shrouds. All the connectors that are accessible have been checked and show no signs of damage. do we need to pull the ignition switch itself?
You need to disconnect the ignition switch connector on the left side. Move the red slide lock over, pull up on the white slide on top of the connector and push the connector off the back of the switch at the same time. Once it's disconnected then look into the terminal end of the connector and into the back of the ignition switch for signs of heat.
All of it looks good. plastic is ok no signs of heat damage anywhere.
Do you have a test light or voltmeter to do some minor testing?

yes

Great.

Check for power on the pink/black wire at the ignition switch connector.

If this is ok then we'll bypass the ignition switch. Turn the blower motor off, use a large diameter paperclip (a paperclip could get very hot) or a jumper wire, jump between the pink/black wire and the dark green wire at the ignition switch. Then turn the blower motor on. If it runs with the jumper in place then the ignition switch is bad.

ok. fan works with jumper. on my way to pick up ignition switch. how do we take the ignition switch off? you rock by the way!!!!!

There will be a couple small Torx screws that hold it to the steering column, possibly tamper proof Torx (check before you leave for the parts store if you don't already have tamper proof bits).

Disconnect the battery before you start and wait a few minutes, then unplug the clockspring (for the airbag) connectors just behind the steering wheel if they are in the way. I believe one connector is in the way of a screw you need to remove. You'll remove the bracket that holds the column tilt lever, and that will give you access to the screws that hold the switch. remove the screws, and there will be a small tab on the switch body that (sort of) holds it to the column. Just slide it off the left side of the column to remove it.

sprinkles08
thanks! We'll do it! Have a good one!

You're welcome, and good luck!