Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge ram 2500: cummins 6 speed 55,000 miles

Customer Question
I have an 06 dodge...
I have an 06 dodge ram 2500 trx. cummins 6 speed 55,000 miles.yesterday truck would not start. after turning key 4 or 5 times, truck started like normal( no drag on starter, etc.) did it again next time i cut it off. and so on. point is sometimes works like normal other times have to turn switch off and on and off and on. Took starter off today and had it bench tested and inspected at shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. contacts good, no premature wear, put starter back on and still having issue. Now, I've seen a starter relay for sale, but having trouble locating a starter relay on truck? I've also noticed a solenoid on pass side firewall under battery. And I know there is a safety switch on clutch. where do i start and what might be "going bad". Any help or ideas appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/25/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have a voltmeter to do some electrical testing?

not at the moment. thought about checking plug at starter from yellow wire to see if i was getting 12 volts there, but have lost tester wires for my multimeter.
Would you rather round up a voltmeter and do some testing, or would you rather have a list of possible causes?
list of possible causes , as it may be tomorrow before i get a hold of a voltmeter.

The first thing I would do is check for battery voltage at the small solenoid wire at the starter while a helper holds the key in the crank position. If there is power then check for battery voltage on the large positive cable at the starter. It should show battery voltage.

If the solenoid wire does power then check for voltage drop on the positive cable. Attach one voltmeter lead to battery positive and the other lead to the positive cable on the starter. Hold the key in the crank position and read the meter. If you see something more than about .4-5v on the meter then you have a poor connection or internal resistance in the cable going to the starter.

If this is ok and solenoid voltage is ok, then check the ground side of the system. One voltmeter lead on battery negative and the other lead to a good grounded unpainted engine part. Have a helper hold the key to crank and read the meter. More than .4-5v on the meter means you have a problem with a ground connection or cable.

If you have voltage to the solenoid, positive at the starter is ok and ground is ok but the starter won't run, replace it.

If there is no power at the solenoid wire then it gets more complicated. The best place to go from there would be the ignition switch. Check for power leaving the switch while in the crank position, on the yellow wire. A bad ignition switch may explain how it could be intermittent.

If that is ok then go to the clutch switch. With the clutch pressed there should be ground on the yellow/dark blue wire at the switch. If not, check for ground on the other wire. If this is ok but nothing on the yellow/dark blue then the clutch switch is bad.

If these things are ok then your next step would be to go to the TIPM, the fuse box under the hood with integral module. The starter relay is a permanent part internal to the TIPM. You would need to pull the TIPM up to access the connectors underneath and check for power on the yellow wire in pin 21 of connector 7 while holding the ignition switch. Also check for ground on the yellow/dark blue in pin 23of connector 7 while pressing the clutch.

If these things are ok and fuse 14 is good, but there is no power to the starter solenoid, then the problem is internal in the TIPM. This could be an open circuit on the circuit board or the starter relay itself, if this was the case the TIPM would need to be replaced.

sprinkles08
Wow, that's pretty detailed. Thanks. I am leaving tomorrow for Florida, so it,ll probably be next weekend before i get a chance to fix it,{ or at least try}. Nonetheless, you have given me a good starting point and i appreciate it.

You're welcome, and good luck with your truck! Have a nice trip!

Edited by sprinkles08 on 6/26/2010 at 2:31 AM EST