Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Where is crankshaft position sensor on Dodge Grand Caravan?

Customer Question
Where is the crankshaft position...

Where is the crankshaft position sensor located on the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V6?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/25/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

The crankshaft position sensor is on the firewall side of the engine block.

Full Size Image
JACUSTOMER: Are you sure the image attached above is for a 3.8L V6. Chrysler told me the sensor is mounted on the bell housing on the firewall side of the engine. Please check and supply the correct picture if the first one is wrong.
Ron : Yes I am sure, this is right out of the Dodge shop manual.

Full Size Image
JACUSTOMER: The part that is mounted at this location has only two wires. The replacement part has three terminals. Which is correct?
Ron : The 2 wire is the correct one. Actually the crank sensor has 4 wires..See the attached diagram.

You should have a 4 wire sensor. Have another work.

JACUSTOMER: According to that diagram, it is a 3 wire sensor. Pin 1 has 2 different wire color and size call-outs depending on the engine. The part mounted on the engine block at this location has only 2 wires. I can see them very clearly. The mounting bolt looks like it goes through the sensor with the connector coming off the side at a slight angle. It definitely does not look look the part I bought. How can I obtain the correct part if the 2 wire part is what is there?
Ron: Yes that is correct Pin one is the same wire. It looks to me they sold you the worng part if you on have 2 pins, your is 3 pins. The dealer is the best source of the part. I can relist the question if you would like a second opinion.
JACUSTOMER: Should I take the part out from the engine and bring it to the dealer? The part number the dealer gave me on the phone for the part looks exactly like the part I bought from the local parts house when I searched online for Chrysler's part number. The part I bought does not have any O ring seal provision and does not look like it is meant to go through the engine block. It looks more like it is meant to mount on the bell housing and read the info from the flywheel there. What is the chance that this engine is different than the service literature? Is there an engine id number that I can better id the part needed with?
Ron : Yes I would do that, Here is the right sensor from standard, #1699-05060905. The 8th letter in the vin will give us engine size.

Full Size Image

Give me your 8th letter and I will check it for you.

Yes I hit the wrong page, here is what you need. Give me the 8th letter of you vin as well.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQDodgeQQGrand_CaravanQQStandardQQCrankshaft_Position_SensorQQ20032007QQSIPC425.html

That is the part I bought, but it is not the part mounted where the part is indicated in the previous drawing of the engine. The 8th letter is an "L". I thought I had sent that in a reply earlier, but I do not see it above.

As you can see in the link you sent, there is nothing on this part to keep oil from coming out where it goes through the block. It also has 3 wire connector while the part on the engine has 2.

I am unsure of what you have going on here, the VIN code L is the 3.8 . Let me relist it and see if someone has the answer you need.

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

The crank sensor mounts down into the bell-housing and runs off a tone wheel on the flex-plate bolted to the back of the engine. The crank sensor will be accessed from the top of the engine compartment.

You'll either have to do the job mostly by feel or pull the battery and tray out. It has the one single 3 way connector with a red lock tab that has to slide before you can unplug it, and a single 10mm bolt holds the sensor to the bell-housing.

Here is a diagram of the location. This diagram shows the older style sensor used in the earlier body style vans, but the location is exactly the same on your van.

graphic

If I am reading the drawing correctly, it is on the firewall side of the bell housing, but on the top half of the bell housing. I have to takemy wife to the airport now, but I will check out this info when I get back.

Yes, it's towards the firewall. If you look at the engine from the left fender, the crank sensor mounts at about the 2:00 position. You will see a large mount bracket that bolts to the back/top of the trans, the crank sensor is just forward of that mount. The sensor will be very close to hitting the mount as you remove it from the bellhousing.

I see the engine mount bracket. In front of it is the shift linkage and in front of that is a large wiring harness bundle.

There is a bracket that holds the wiring harness to the bell housing and a bolt holding the bracket to the bell housing and I see a threaded hole a few inches to the right of the bracket in the bell housing. Could it be located under the exhaust pipe crossover.

Yes, you'll have to reach around the exhaust crossover pipe and back behind. The mount bracket I mentioned is the one at the back of the trans, not the one at the front that mounts to the lower radiator support. Look back there with a flashlight or drop light and you will see a mount plate that bolts to the top of the trans in the rear (this mount attaches the trans to the aluminum subframe).

Unless you know pretty exactly where to look it's not going to be that easy to see the sensor itself. With the engine cool so the crossover pipe doesn't burn you, reach back there and you will feel the crank sensor mounted down into the bell-housing with it's one 10mm bolt.

The mount bracket I am looking at is the rear one. It connects the bell housing to the chassis frame which comes up over the front wheel. Is the sensor in front of or behind this bracket?

The sensor is just forward of that bracket. If you reach down there and feel the bracket, just forward of that, towards the radiator, you will feel the sensor mounted to the trans very near the engine block. In very close proximity to the sensor you will also find a coolant tube that mounts with a 10mm bolt and then passes behind the engine.

Here is another picture that might help.

graphic

The bracket is mounted about 10 inches from where the bell housing attaches to the engine. There are no coolant lines that pass from the radiator side of the engine to the firewall side of the engine. There is the radiator hose tha tgoes from the thermostat housing to the radiator and a heater hose that runs from the back end of the thermostat mount to the heater. In your 3:56pm answer you said that it was at 2 o'clock when looked at from the left (drivers side) fender. Is it towards the firewal or towards the radiator?

Look at the van from the left side, the driver's side. Envision a clock, the crank sensor is mounted at about the 2:00 position. It's toward the firewall side if 12 noon. I've sent two diagrams showing the correct location of the sensor, were you able to view them?

The coolant line I mentioned runs from the left side of the engine compartment along the back of the block and then into the timing cover. I'm not talking about the radiator hose, this is a metal coolant tube that is less than 1" diameter. If mentioning this tube confused you, disregard it.

I think I just found it. It is at about the 2 o'clock position on the firewall side and has 3 wires running to it. it's very tight to get to it. I could barely get my hand and arm in there. Is it easier to reach if I remove the battery and bracket or is there another way to access it?

That's the one! If you can get your arm down there and work then you can just replace it without removing anything else. You just have to unplug it and remove the 10mm bolt that holds it in place.

If you are having trouble working in that tight area then you can remove the battery and battery tray, and even remove the cruise control servo and position it out of the way and that will give you better access.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08