Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

cam sensor ,crank sensor and checked fuel presure and tps,map and o2…

Customer Question
2500 rpm max in park...
2500 rpm max in park or drive.motor ran hot we replaced head gasskets and timmin chain ,fuel pump,cam sensor ,crank sensor and checked fuel presure and tps,map and o2's tore engine down again to reashure timming and still can only get 2500 rpm.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!.

When you reach 2500 RPM does it shut off and back on suddenly... essentially like hitting a rev limiter?
Or is it different... running up to 2500 and then just running out of steam?

How's your idle quality and power below 2500?
Is there a point below 2500 where power begins to wane?
Any roughness at any time?

Do you see a CHECK ENGINE lamp illumination at any time when running?

In case you don't have a scan tool, this model supports the code-read feature that was used on most of our vehicles around this time. Roll the key from off to on three times and leave the key ON. Watch the odometer window in the instrument cluster for code display, followed by "P-done" when completed whether any codes were present or not.

Last, check to see if the engine will start in the drive gears...

Talk shortly,
Ed
the engine is slugish on start up but once running, runs perfect up to 2500 rpms and the acts like a rev limiter is in control.at 2500 it dies and as soon as it drops below 2500 it revs back to 2500 and repeats this action.scanner codes are p0016 and p0344.but like i said earlier weve double checked timming and replaced cam and crank sensor and idle sensor ect..but from 0-2500 rpms you wouldn't know there was a problem... thanks charlie
I think I know where we're headed, Charlie.
Did you put new cam gears on with the chain? If so, you might have gotten the wrong set for this engine... the dreaded JTEC vs. NGC problem.

I'm not completely sure about that because I wouldn't expect the engine to start at all with the wrong cam gear sequence being sent, but I have to ask.

Did you get new gears?
Ed
yes we did get new gears and that shield and ordering the timming set i was awear of two difrent sets thought i had the right one.didn't even think to check that shield for a match
but i did wounder today if i could have put it on wrong.
I don't think you could put it on wrong... but something tells me you might have gotten the wrong set, Charlie.

Check your PCM (engine controller) for number of connectors to tell which system you have. The PCM is screwed to the bulkhead underhood off to the passenger side of the truck.

A 3- plug controller is JTEC, a 4-plug unit is NGC.

Better yet, if you could pull the passenger side valve cover to compare the tone ring spacings that pass by the cam sensor, it would either prove or disprove my theory. Your two codes both indicate problems with timing or cam signal so I think that would be a good place to begin.

We actually had mis-boxed cam gears a while back for the 2.7 engine that caused problems like this except that the 2.7s just won't start with a bad sequence. I'm not completely sure that it's the same case for your 4.7, but let's take a peek first to see if they're the same gear and then we'll move on.

The P0344 code (intermittent cam signal) might just be a result of the mightier P0016 (cam-crank misalignment)... hard telling.

Let me know what you find.
Ed
how can i get back to you tom when i check this?
I'll be right here! I also watch my mail at work, so just write back on this thread and we'll be all good. There's no need to click the accept button until we've come to a solution by the way.

If the tone wheel spacings do check out OK, scrutinize the passenger side cam alignment a bit more. If you had to surface the heads, you'll have lowered the height of the cams just a little bit, which might be something that puts you a little bit between an ideal alignment that falls apart a bit at higher engine speeds.

Just a thought...

Talk later!
Ed
cool talk to you tom,thanks charlie.
Sounds good. Don't hesitate to write if you have any thoughts or questions. You're almost certainly suffering from some sort of artificial redline that comes with cam signal irregularities or timing. Long crank time is common in instances where cam signal is lost or not what it should be, so I'd like to know if the engine fires right up... or you have close to 10 seconds of crank time before it lights.

Have a great night!
Ed
you there?
Yup... finally! Any news?