Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2000 Dodge Dakota hood latch will not function. It is stuck…

My 2000 Dodge Dakota hood...
My 2000 Dodge Dakota hood latch will not function. It is stuck in the closed/latched position. How can I release the latch and open the hood??
6/24/2010
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Chat Conversation Started
kalamykid :

Is the cable broken?

Customer:

Apparently so. The latch release handle located under the dash is stuck in the open/released position. When I try to pull on the cable with pliers it does not move. If it broken, it is not in the middle, otherwise the cable would move, right? Maybe it is disconnected at the latch under the hood??

kalamykid :

If the cable will not come out then yes you are correct it has come loose from the latch under the hood. Do you have long arms? You will need them to be able to reach up from under the bumper to get to the latch. What you will have to do is use your finger to slid down the opening just ablove where the cable goes to the latch and manualy trip the latch. This is nuch easier if you have some one to lightly push down on the hood as you trip the latch.

Customer:

There is no way of reaching it from under the bumper. Too much interference. You can almost see and maybe reach things from the front of the grill. Isn't there a manual release method??

kalamykid :

unfortunantly there is no manual release for the hood.Can you reach the fasteners that hold the grill in?

Customer:

The grill is part of the hood, I don't see any fastners on the first look.

kalamykid :

The fasteners are on the top part of the grill.

Customer:

I cant see or feel anything with the hood locked closed. I bet removing the grill would be easy with the hood open?? Appears the grill fastens from the backside/under the hood.

kalamykid :

yes it does.

kalamykid :

Your truck may have a rock guard mounted to the under side of the radiator suport that will have to be pulled to get to the back side if the grill easier.

Customer:

With the hood locked closed, I cant see how to remove the grill. Good suggestion though.

kalamykid :

can you get your hand on the back side of the hood to fell for the nuts that hold the grill in?

Customer:

I can barely feel something that could be nuts or screws. But can't imagine how to get tools on them.

Customer:

I now see the ferrule on the end of the cable at the latch under the hood is indeed free from the latch release. I also see some ohles in the left side of the latch cover, do you think you could push the latch release by shoving something in there? I'll make something to fit in there and try it......

kalamykid :

Can you bend a coat hanger so there id a samll hook on the end and slid it just above the cable? If you can you can fish for the latch release to pop the hood.

kalamykid :

But you will have to go in from the side where the cable is to be able to get it to work.

kalamykid :

I am sorry but I have to leave for about 2 hours as I have a family get to gether to go to. I will be back as soon as I can " I hate these family get togethers as there is a lot of new people that always coem to them."

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Did you get it open?