Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a dodge ram 1500. It was overheating. I replaced the radiator.

Customer Question
I have a dodge ram...
I have a dodge ram 1500. It was overheating. I replaced the radiator. Now the heater will not blow hot air. I can not figure out how to bleed the system.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/24/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Which engine do you have in your Ram?

Chris

5.9L

Ok this engine should self bleed, but try this: disconnect one of the heater hoses at the heater core and have someone hold it up a bit higher than the top of the radiator and then add coolant. When no more coolant can be added slowly lower the hose and look for coolant to start running out of the hose. When it does, reconnect the hose, top off the radiator and then recheck your heater operation. Hope this helps,

Chris

Water was going all the way through with the thermostat closed and there was no air. Why is the heater not working. Could it be the water pump?

When the engine is at operating temp are both of the heater hoses hot/warm?

Chris

i am not getting a response to the second question
There may be a blend door problem in the HVAC housing. A water pump would not cause this. If it was the pump, then the truck would still be overheating. When the engine is at operating temp are both of the heater hoses hot/warm?

Chris