Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

95 dodge: the 5.2L V8 this truck has a miss..rough idle..cap..rotor…

I have a 95 dodge...
I have a 95 dodge ram with the 5.2L V8 this truck has a miss or rough idle and under load seems to be underpowered. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I have checked the IAC and cleaned it is extending properly I believe. I have checked for intake and vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and none found. Cleaned PCV valve and it is functioning. Did keyflash code check and got a 12 and 77 and both appear unrelated. Also pulled oil cap while running and no suction detected. I have read that battery voltage while running should be 14.2 +- .02 this one is at 13.6 and I am unsure if that is true or the problem. Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nate
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, 14.5 is what we would like to have but because of temperature and accessories and loads you are going to loose at least 1 volt , as long as you don't loose this volt when the engine is off, this is enough voltage to run the primary and secondary circuits, if you all ready replace the wires, plugs, cap, rotor,and all the parts you say you did , then check fuel pressure with a pressure tester if the fuel is low by more then 5 pounds the engine is not going to stall but will run lean and rough, how many miles do you have on this engine?
Around 150,000 miles. What should proper fuel pressure be.
ok, copy or print this page right away or it may get delete

Pressure Relief/Rollover Valve

Fuel systems on gas powered engines are equipped with a fuel tank module mounted, combination fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is not controlled by the power train control module (PCM) or engine vacuum.

With engine at idle speed, system fuel pressure should be approximately 241-310 kPa (35-45 psi) .

Fuel Pressure Regulator Location

1. Remove (unscrew) the protective plastic cap from the pressure test port on the fuel rail. This test port is located at the rear of the engine.

Fuel Pressure Test - Typical

Connect the 0-414 kPa (0-60 psi) fuel pressure gauge (from Gauge Set 5069) to test port pressure fitting on fuel rail.

1. With engine running, note pressure gauge reading. Fuel pressure should be approximately 241-310 kPa (35-45 psi) at idle.
  2. If pressure is at 0 psi, connect DRB scan tool and check to see if the relay is actuating properly. Refer to Computers and Control Systems/Testing and Inspection/Procedures .
  3. If operating pressure is above 45 psi, fuel pump is OK. Replace fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator assembly.

ed.
fuel pressure was 38 psi at test port while idling.
oak 38 is good pressure if no engine light is present then is not computer or sensor related , this problem would have to be mechanical problem, have you check the egr if stuck by removing the vacuum suply and try to duplicate the problem?

Edited by ricardo hohl on 6/26/2010 at 1:56 AM EST
Remove the vacuum supply from the EGR valve? I can do that and see I will try it tomorow. And yes you are correct no lights are on. If I remove the vacuum from EGR and condition does not change would that indicate a faulty EGR valve?
yes .

Ok sorry it took so long I have been busy when I started to check for faulty EGR I found that the doodad above the EGR that has I think 3 vacuum lines and 1 wire to it has a vacuum leak. In fact the one end is melted off of it. I apologize for not finding this sooner and I agree I had told you I checked for vacuum leaks and I had but had not found this one. It was still hanging in the vacuum line a little and when torque was applied to motor it leaked alot worse.

So do you know what this is and I will replace it and see if that fixes it.

Thanks Nate

that is the EGR vacuum transducer and EGR VALVE assembly print or copy right away.

EGR, EET Location

The Electronic EGR Transducer (EET) is mounted next to EGR valve, at rear of intake manifold.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
I will check into that tomorow but the pic and info was gone. If this is the fix I will gladly accept and pay you for your time. Thanks Nate
Ricardo, That was the problem and I would like to thank you for your help. I will accept the payment at this point and if I was not laid off there would be a bonus in it for you.
thank you.