Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Grand caravan: wont start..the battery and alternator..van..locks…

Customer Question
my grand caravan won't start...
my grand caravan won't start. i tested the battery and alternator and both are good.

the vehicle started fine this morning, as i was driving the radio turned off and when i turned off the van it wouldn't restart...nothing, no power to anything, not even the locks, windows or ac fan would work, no matter what position the key is in.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/24/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, can you turn the lights on and see if any light function available?

hey,

no lights. when i put the key in and turn it forward or back (acc) nothing either. i can hear a switch like clicking noise with the key stationary in the forward or back position. when i remove the key the door chime dings for about thirty seconds and then stops.

all of these same symptoms occurred yesterday and i took out the battery and alternator and had them tested and both were ok.

ok, do you have a booster pack or jumper cables that you can use to jump start, i understand the battery was all ready check but i need to check for amperage to the starter by increasing the amount with another vehicles battery.

yes
ok, can you just connect that to the battery on your vehicle and see if the lights go on then.
yeah one minute

ok, i made the connection and no lights on the van.

hi,

no lights on the van after making the connection

ok remove the battery terminal ends and check battery clamps ,clean and secure and reattach, do you have a test light?

hey,

i had to go to work yesterday...i cleaned the posts and connectors, cleaned and tightened. no lights come on. no nothing.

when i put the key in (just insert the key) the door chime dings. when i turn the key in either direction it's like a small click and nothing...no chime, no lights, no radio or power window/locks.

otto

ok, do you have a test light or a voltmeter?