Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge: cummings..diesel..the turbo kiking in lately the gas mileage…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...
Hello I have a dodge cummings diesel with 150000 miles I dont feel the turbo kiking in lately the gas mileage is the same but dont feel the power when im trailering equiptment how do I know if its working
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/24/2010
Dodge Mechanic: CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician replied 8 years ago
CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
The only way to know for sure if the turbo is making correct boost would be to install a boost gauge. However the turbos do not fail very often on your particular engine. The lift pump however does fail, and beginning signs of failure can be low power. If the lift pump fails and is not replaced, your injection pump ($1600) will fail because of lack of adequate fuel flow. If your lift pump is original the first thing you need to do is replace the lift pump and fuel filter.
Hello I already had that lift pump go bad and yes it cost me to replace the injector pump that was 4 years ago when the lift pump failed I had to crank the motor for a biy before it would start as of now the motor starts up fine how do I know if the lift pump is bad im going on a 1300 mile trip if the turbo is bad will I cause any damage Thank you Tommy
To test the lift pump you need to do a fuel volume test. You have to unhook the feed line from the lift pump to the injection pump, add a piece of hose to this line and route it in to a graduated container. Now turn the ignition to the start position just for a second, then back to the on position for ten seconds, then off. Now measure how much fuel you got, less then 500mL and you have a problem, replace the fuel filter and retest, if you still get less than 500ml then the lift pump is bad.
Thank you for your help I will try this in the am and finish with you tomarrow night Thanx Tommy
Sounds good, just get back to me when you can.
where is the lift pump located??
The original location of the lift pump was on the engine block, on the drivers side, midway up the block, towards the back. If you have had the Mopar conversion done when the last lift pump was replaced, then with this conversion the lift pump is moved to inside the fuel tank.
Good morning the lift pump is sending plenty of fuel!!! but it kept pumping longer than 10 seconds when I shut the key off I installed a new clutch and a TPS would that have any thing to do with the turbo im not even shure I have a problem with the turbo but I dont feel it kiking in like I used to I remember feeling the turbo kik in around 1800 rpms now I dont???? when I put the pedle to the floor tnow the rpms climb gradually with no feel of boost but my fuel mileage is still the same??? if I take this truck on the 1300 mile trip am I asking for trouble ??? is it possible for you to call me?? thank you Tommy 941=830=1005
Hello ??? I am waiting for your help please let me know thank you
????