Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998 dodge: trans...check engine light..speed sensor malfunction…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 dodge...
I have a 1998 dodge ram truck 1500 auto. trans. I went to smog it and the check engine light is on...It had a code And it said that the speed sensor malfunction. So should I just change it is there a way to test it? If the transmission is low on fluid or dirty would that make it malfunction.

Thanks,
Bill
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/23/2010
Dodge Mechanic: moparfl, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Do you know what the fault code number is?
I dont have it with me the paper is at home. I could get it later sorry about that .
let me know when you get it and i will try to help you.
Okay thanks
your welcome

Hello I don't know if your still there but I have the code that is on the insp. report. It has a malfunction indicator light and it failed (check engine light) Fault code P0720 Output speed sensor CKT Malfunction . Well thats all that it said I hope that will help you out .

Thanks

Bill

That is a very common code and if you dont have any wiring damage at the sensor I would just replace it. this sensor sells for about 26 dollars and just screws into the drivers side of the trans and is easy to replace.
Thanks but I changed it last night.
Did that take care of your problem?