Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

dodge: torque converter..work properly..cargo..floored gas pedal…

Customer Question
hi in my dodge ram van...
hi
in my dodge ram van 3500 5.2l i ve poor performance,low power during acceleration.
i ve performed several experiment,the engine is ok,i m think the problem is the torque converter ,because the transmission work very well, every gear work properly,but seem the van start in a high gear. with no load(empty cargo area),from stop to floored gas pedal,the wheel don't spin,and the acceleration is very low. i'm thinkin to replace the torque converter...i don't know what s the proper stall speed of the converter in this van?
the van has only 100 000 km. is possible the problem is the converter?
thank for help me
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/22/2010
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Try this. Take it out for a drive and pull the shifter down into manual first gear. See if it takes off with a normal feel if it's in manual first.

yeah, i ve try this too. the transmission go in to first gear regularly. i ve try to floor the pedal with the selector in "1" the van stay in to first gear, but the acceleration is very very poor
So if you pull it down into manual first you still have low power then?

Has the check engine light come on?
When you accelerate hard do you hear a hiss from the exhaust, or an odd hum from the engine compartment?
Converter stall speed should be 18-2200 RPM. Where does yours stall if you hold the brake and then open the throttle up?

i m sorry for the delay, i had a problem in ny internet connection. the check engine light stay off. the exaust system is ok, i ve checked it for obstruction,but its ok.i ve not any tachometer in the van,so i have to connect an external one to check stall speed. i ll try to do it next day. is there another system to determine if the "bad thing" is the torque converter,or the only is the stall test? today i ve driving the van, it move as with handbrake in,the exaust pipe become very hot after few minutes of run.. here in my country,(Italy) there aren't mechanic that know this kind of van,so i need a help from an expert...

thank s a lot

I'm not convinced you have a torque converter problem, but if it's not much trouble to get a tach hooked up then it won't hurt to go ahead with that.

If you find converter stall speed to be ok then you'll need to remove the upstream oxygen sensor and install a backpressure transducer in it's place. Check the pressure at wide open throttle with the engine hot and let me know what it is.

ok, one thing,i ve removed the cat, and replace the muffler with a new one,but the problem is the same,so i think is not an exaust back pressure problem.. another thing, i ve driving the van on highway, an i ve noticed that the high speed operations are ok,the van run very well until 160/170 km/h, (torque converter lock activated)

You've got normal characteristic symptoms of exhaust backpressure problems, so I'd like to see a backpressure reading.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check fuel pressure under a load also. Check fuel pressure with a gauge while it's acting up and let me know what you see.

..but the exaust pipe is free.. there are no restriction ,i ve run the van without exaust system for a little trip, and the problem was the same.... i ve double fuel system: LPG ang gasoline, and the trouble is in both fuel supply,so i suppose... is not a fuel problem. i ve replaced spark plug,spark wires, rotor, dist. cap, crankshaft and camshaft sensor...nothing.... air filter,of course. nothing...

Let me know what the backpressure reading is and the converter stall speed is and we'll go from there.

I'd also like to know the fuel pressure while it's under a load and engine vacuum at idle and under load.

ok...i ll do this next days, then i ll tell you the readings..

i ll tell you in to this week,let me measure all

thank s

Sounds great!

Relist: I still need help.
Hi.
in my dodge ram van ,i ve the mil on. with code " o2 sensor high". i ve measured the signal,and i ve 4,2 volts on both 02 sensor signal wire. i ve disconnected the sensors,but the voltage is the same..if i short the signal wire to ground, the van running rich,with black smoke....