Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Neon: car starts fine and runs great for about 20 min...cuts…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Neon...
I have a 2000 Neon. The car starts fine and runs great for about 20 min. Then the engine just cuts. I was going down hill and was turning the ignition to see if I could hear the fuel pump. I noticed that, while rolling down hill, the speedometer would not register for a couple of turns. Then all of a sudden it jumped and the car started again. It will then dies faster and faster. We checked wires, don't have a code though. Checked the coil, tried cooling it at one instance, but doesn't seem to be the problem. Any info?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/21/2010
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

When the vehicle quits do you loose fuel pressure or spark to the plugs?

Customer:

We think it's a spark to the plug. Not real sure. Seemed maybe electrical with the whole weird odometer/auxiliary thing.

brownjeff :

What your describing is a failing cam sensor or crank sensor. Would need to check with a scan tool to see if the computer is getting a signal from them. If you do not have a scan tool when the vehicle doesn't run with a volt meter see if the sensors are sending voltage to the computer and see if the voltage changes when cranking. If no voltage coming out of the sensor or it is not changing the sensor will need to be replaced

Customer:

Would that make the fan not run either? Just noticed it shut down when temp gauge is half way. Doesn't register hot though.

brownjeff :

The fan typically will shut off after the vehicle cools down then turn back on after it heats back up.