Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Dodge Durango Limited: Battery dead. Charged battery for 8 hours…

Customer Question
2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L Wife...
2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L
Wife left key in "on" position for two days. Battery dead. Charged battery for 8 hours, started engine. Engine shutdown within 2 seconds of start. Repeated 4 or 5 times before battery appeared to be dead again. Bought new battery and installed. Engine will not crank.
Also noted the key fobs do not work either. Checked 30A fuse under hood labeled for starter, and is good.

What will prevent start up after a dead battery? Is this related to the Theft Protection system?

At this point I am waiting until Monday to have it towed to the Dodge dealer unless you have an answer that gets the "grocery getter" started.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Anthony, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

Is the battery fully charged now?

Yes, I put it on the charger until charger amperage was less than 2amps.
Ok, unhook the negative battery cable for about 2 minutes.... Then connect it and try again. What happens?

Same result. Turned key to on, heard a lot of clicking and then turned key to start. Nothing happens at all.

When cycling the key to on, I don't hear the fuel pump either.

Sounds like the battery is bad...Try jumps tarting it...What happens?

Tried starting with the charger connected with same result. No engine crank, or starter engagement either. Not even a click when turning the key to start.
Battery is bad... Try another one....
Heading back to Sears and will get back to you. Thanks for now.
YOu bet... Bring your old battery to be sure its bad... Let me know what happens either way.
Well I got embarressed by my wife. Her brother told her to try her other key, which she did and it started. We switched keys again and the engine started but shutdown within a second or two. We then put the other key in, started the engine and all works fine. It appears the key that was in the ignition lost it's code when the battery went dead.
Oh boy, bad keys can be confusing. You wonder why it only forgot one key... If it made sense it would have forgot both...
This is strange to me. This was a new key last year which was coded at purchase for a large fee. I'm going to call the local Dodge dealer and talk to them about it and hopefully I won't be charged another $150 for coding the key twice.

Sorry for the delay...

Hope it works out...