Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1996 Dodge stratus: wont crank..coil..spin over but wont start.

Customer Question
We just installed a engine...
We just installed a engine in a 1996 Dodge stratus, and it still wont crank. It ha a new computer, and coil. It will spin over but wont start. What could it be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/19/2010
Dodge Mechanic: moparfl, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Have you checked to see if it is firing and has fuel pressure? Have you checked it for fault codes?
It does not have any fuel pressure, and is not firing. What fault codes should we be checking? It is just spinning over, and over

Why was the computer replaced? was this done while it was still running with the old engine?

The other engine was hard to start so , it was recommended to change out computer. Engine was not running when computer was changed out
If you dont have fuel pressure or fire then you need to check the fuses first and if they are good you need to check the auto shut down replay this is what sends power to the coil and fuel pump.

i changed the auto shut down relay, all fuses are good, and no power to the connector at the coil. I am so lost with this and the customer is irate . pls help!

Do you have power to the auto shut down relay?
no, no power to the auto shut down relay
If you dont have power to the relay then if the fuses are good then you have a broken wire from the fuses power supply to the asd relay or the car has a factory theft system on it that has shut the system down. you will need to remove the key and lock all the doors and then wait about 3 mins and then use the key or the remote to unlock the doors to reset the system.
I do not see any broken wires unless they are inside the rubber broken, Idont see anything to indicate that the car has a theft system like, like a sticker on glass, cust has a regular key no remote. does the trunk need to be closed also with the doors locked?
No you dont have to close the truck and you wont know if the system is on it. If you have the factory key and it is got a gray head on it then you have this system.
Still wont start, this key looks like a copy of a key, because the cust bought car from used dealer and it maynot be original key. also do I need to get door/engine key cut from dodge dealer to make car run.
If this is the same key that was being used when the engine was running if you locked and unlocked the doors this will reset the system. If you take a jumper wire and run from the positive post of the battery to the green wire with a orange tracer on the coil this will power the ASD relay try that and see if the car will start.
The key to the engine does not unlock the doors. I will try this, one moment
Then you are going to need the key to the doors to do this or a remote.
Just let me know what you find out and I will answer when I get back on line.
by this car being a 1996, then it probably has this system right? after doing all of what u suggested and the car still doesnt start, then what?
What have you done? did you run the jumper? did you get the door key? What did you find out?
I will get back to you shortly, I am still trying to find a dodge dealer svc dept that is open on a sat.
Ok just let me know?
We have tried everything you suggested, and the dodge dealer says that this car doesn't have the security feature, so it doesn't matter. The car still wont crank. The motor just installed came out of a 1997 model do the crankshaft/camshaft sensor have to come from the 97 engine, or could we use the ones that was already in the car 's engine previoisly. I dont know what else to try cant get a diagnostic from Goodyear unless car is running. anymore suggestions?
I am going to opt out and see if someone else can give you anymore info just stand by