Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 caravan: it sets longer than 24 hrs ,it takes a long time…

Customer Question
2000 caravan .if it sets...
2000 caravan .if it sets longer than 24 hrs ,it takes a long time to start.motor turns great .it may take 3 or 4 times 15 seconds at a time, before it starts. all day it is right there with in 2 or 3 rpms of the motor, it starts. and if i run it every day its fine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/15/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Euro Pro, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Euro Pro
Euro Pro, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com. Are there any warning lights on or codes in the system? When it won't start, have you tried starting fluid? If it will start right away on starting fluid, this would tell me its not getting fuel right away. I would also put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail. Check the fuel pressure after its been running, then let it sit for a few days (long enough that it should act up) and check the fuel pressure before cranking the motor. If its dropped severely over that time, then you probably have a fuel injector(or multiple injectors) leaking fuel over time. This will flood the engine and also reduce available pressure in the line at start-up, causing an extended cranking symptom. Try these two tests and let me know what happens.

Thank you for your question,

will try, and no check engin soon light goes on ,when it dose finaly start. i did remember smelling gas one time atfer a difficult start.

Okay, let me know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

i tryed finding that fuel rail test port but i tink it dose not exisst on this engin oh and i ment 3.0 L not 3.1L.sorry. i have look on line and under the hood ,i can't find that test port.
Hello, sorry for the delay. If there is no test port on the rail, then you'll need to find a fuel line adapter kit that allows you to "tee" into the fuel line. Then perform the above mentioned tests. From your initial description of the problem, it sounds like you have one or more fuel injectors slowly leaking fuel when the engine is not running. Over time this will cause a lack of fuel pressure, causing your extended cranking while the pump tries to rebuild pressure. Then it should run and start like normal until allowed to sit for a few days again. Let me know if you are able to find the right adapters. Thanks for your patience, Josh.
ok ,i have ordered an test adpt.

Okay. Let me know how this goes when you get the adapter set. While we're waiting for this set, have you checked all the battery, starting, and charging system components? We might as well knock off some other tests in the meantime. If you don't have access to any test equipment, your local parts stores can usually do this for you. These will confirm that the problem is not with any of these systems.

Thanks again and let me know how all of these things turn out,

oh ,i was snooping around under the hood and pulled out the coil wire from the ing. coil. it was a rust bucket. i ordered a set of wires .mean while i cleaned it up some .i let it set 24 hrs and it started right up. could a have been a fluke. oh ,the injecters appear to be new.i'll have to ask the preveus owner.

Excellent news. Let me know about the injectors and good find on the coil wire. I'm not sure if that's going to be your extended cranking after a few days but it can't hurt to replace if its that rusted.

Thanks for the update,

i now have the new ign.wires and the adpter hose for the pressure test ,now all i need in the insperation to do it. james
Hello, I understand how you feel. When you get to it let me know. Good luck, Josh.