Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

HELP! I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 and Automatic.

Customer Question
HELP! I have a...
HELP! I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 and Automatic. The truck dies in gear coming to a stop, or at slow speed while turning, or when you put it into reverse. I'm a mechanic myself, but on more old-fashioned stuff, and I can't figure this one out. Basically, it does not seem to be able to control the idle when in gear - although sometimes it's OK - like when you first drive it, but after about 5 miles, this nightmare starts...

I replaced both the IAC and the TPS to no avail. Just was playing with it in the driveway - if you start it up and leave it in Park, it will run all night. shift it into Reverse, instantly dies. Shift it into Drive, might run, might die, same with Neutral. Just for the hell of it, I put it back to Park, started it, shifted all the way down into 1st, will run all night...

SOOOO, I am thinking there must be some sensor somehwre that says, "Hey, you're in gear, bump up the idle", and that is all worn out in R,N,D where I usually operate this truck, but does work down in 1st and 2nd, which I NEVER use - so no wear there...

Does this make ANY sense, and if so, where is this switch - or does the park/neutral switch on the side of the trans case perform this function?

This is REALLY worth alot to me if you can tell me how to fix this problem, it is a REAL nightmare and I have been chasing it for months!

P.S. I have owned the truck since new, has 100k, and is basically virgin - no real mechanical work or repairs of any kind - just 10 years of abuse... :-)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/12/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

Based on your description, I think I would perform a test on the torque converter and see if it shows anything...

PROCEDURE: Vehicle must be on level surface with all four tires down. Do not attempt this check with vehicle on hoist. If no tachometer is available in instrument panel install DRB diagnostic tool which includes remote tachometer. Block front wheels. Start engine. Apply park brake and service brakes. Shift trans into D range / forward gear. Apply throttle wide open for (3-5) seconds allowing engine rpm to stabilize at maximum. Observe the maximum engine RPM reached during the stall test. STALL SPEED TEST RESULTS: Proper torque converter stall speed should be approximately 1900 - 2200 RPM. STALL SPEED LOW: If stall speed is low the trans reaction shaft support and/or the stator one-way clutch in the torque converter has failed. Replace the reaction shaft support (or pump assembly) and the torque converter. STALL SPEED HIGH: If stall speed is high trans clutch slippage is indicated. Repair or replace trans assembly as required.

Hello - Thanks for the response. I did perform this Torque Converter test and it would hold steady at about 2700 RPM - pretty high, but I'm not really surprised based on the mileage...

What I don't understand is how this would kill the engine at idle in gear. What I'm wondering now is if it is possible that the torque converter is locking up at idle when it is not supposed to. Your thoughts?

I was wondering whether the converter might be staying lock up at idle and I was curious whether this test would tell us anything. You're right, the test results show you have some possible trans problems but that does not help the immediate concern here.

When this stalls, if it feels like a manual transmission vehicle and you fail to push in the clutch when stopping, then I would say this is a converter problem.

If there is anything electrical keeping the converter locked up then it should set a fault code so you might want to get this scanned just in case.....if you haven't already.