Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 challenger srt8: gas pedal..smooth..steering wheel..tires…

Customer Question
I have a new 2010...
I have a new 2010 challenger srt8 6 speed; 500 miles. Have a vibration at 80+ mph in the gas pedal floor board and left door panel; 75mph is nice and smooth; vibration seem somewhat higher frequency and lower amplitude; no wiggle of the steering wheel. Dealer checked the balance of the tires; says they are right on. Tires are run flat, all weather.

Car does not pull to either side; tracks well. Dealer says he can't check it because can't drive it at that speed.

Suggestions? Disappointed with dealer's dismissiveness and lack of desire to pursue further.

Thanks, Joe
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/11/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas, Dodge Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Dodge Mechanic
Hi my name isXXXXX would highly suggest you get a road force balance done. If they did not do it at the dealer. It's the only way to know for sure that the tires and rims are not the cause. Then if they are good then move on to a drive line check.

Thomas: Please explain what a Road Force Balance is; and where can I get this done? I live in the Chicago area; Northwest suburbs.

Do you know of any shops/labs that can do a vibration analysis in conjunction with a dynamometer?

Thanks, Joe

Oh a road force machine is required by most dealers, otherwise they can't do warranty work on vibrations. So it shouldn't be hard to find one. I live in a small town and I know of 3 shops that have them. It is a balancing machine that has a roller that applies road force pressure to the tire as it's being balanced. It also checks for rim runout ( to see if a rim happens to be warped)

OK, so that checks the balance dynamically; say that's ok; what would be the next steps and what about a shop with at dyno and vibration analaysis equipment.

The probability will be that the tires are balanced properly; what are the next steps and equipment used for vibration analysis?

Thanks, Joe

Most dealerships have an advanced machine called a EVA (electronic vibration analyzer)

When a good trained tech uses it the can tell if the vibration is in the axle, drive shaft or where ever it may be coming from. But it only leads them in the right area to look it takes a good tech to interpret the info from the machine to find the problem.