Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

94 caravan: tranny..15 to 20 miles it starts to miss under load…

Customer Question
I have a 94 caravan...
I have a 94 caravan with a 3.3 and a 604 tranny. When it gets up to temp and traveled about 15 to 20 miles it starts to miss under load. I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, but it still misses. It doesn't set any codes either on the tranny or engine.
Any suggestions?
Ken
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/11/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello there!

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simply bad and will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!

I tried what you said but to no avail. It cost me over 300 dollars to replace the plugs, wires, and coil pack and another 4 hrs of messing around with the wires to make sure that I had no electical leaks, nothing.

After my van had left me on the side of the road, I finally figured out that the crank sensor was bad. I replaced it and my problems disappeared.

So as reguards to your advice, I got exactly what I paid for.

Ken

I am sorry that you replaced the plugs and wires without testing them. I was bringing this to your attention so that you were aware of this problem. But there can be several other things as well that could cause this problem. That is why they needed to be tested before you went ahead and replaced them.