Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

dodge intrepid: replaced my..cooling system..running fine..fans kicked

Customer Question

ok so i just replaced my water pump in my 03 dodge intrepid 2.7L and everything was going fine and dandy when i put it back together and then i was bleeding the cooling system to get that running fine and then the fans kicked on and then like 10 seconds later the car just stopped. i tried starting my car again but all i could hear was the starter kicking in and nothing else. i have a 1/4 tank of gas. the motor just wont turnover and no the battery isn't dead. i tried cranking the engine over with my 1/2 inch ratchet and a 21mm socket but got nothing. wasn't able to turn it over. i was wondering what my next step would be after my motor seized up?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

Ouch, I feel your pain.

Ok, I suppose at this stage, you'll need to pull the timing cover off again and see if there is anything visually wrong. If there is nothing obvious, I would remove the timing chain and then try and turn the crank by hand as well as the cams. This will give you an idea of whether the problem is with the timing chain or the cams or the crank.

From there you may need to remove valve covers and oil pan to explore further.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ive already tried turning the crank. why if i take everything off again and just turn the crank itself make a difference? everything would be seized up still....the pistons have to go somewhere and if something is in the way of it moving then wouldn't that still be the case if i just turned the crank by itself with everything off again?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ive already tried turning the crank.  why if i take everything off again and just turn the crank itself make a difference?  everything would be seized up still....the pistons have to go somewhere and if something is in the way of it moving then wouldn't that still be the case if i just turned the crank by itself with everything off again?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

im not trying to come off as a jerk. im just asking questions. im in school right now to be a mechanic and im still in the learning process. please bear with me!

Right now, when you try and turn the crank, you are also trying to turn the cams at the same time.

What I'm suggesting is a way to separate the cams from the crank to isolate where the problem is.

For all you know, it might be a cam that is seized, so by removing the chain you can narrow it down.

Once you've narrowed it down to the cams or crank, then you can dig deeper from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

oh ok. that makes sense. thank you. so just curious....it was a windy day when i was working on this....is it possible that something like a leave or dirt could have anything to do with my motor seizing up?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

oh ok.  that makes sense.  thank you.  so just curious....it was a windy day when i was working on this....is it possible that something like a leave or dirt could have anything to do with my motor seizing up?

No, I have my doubts about that idea.