Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 dodge ram 1500: v..8 automatic tranmission..second gear..cools…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 dodge...
I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 v-8 automatic tranmission sometimes when driving I only have second gear and thrid gear I dont have first or fourth gear then when the engine cools off I have all my gears this does not do it all the time can you help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Richard, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Which engine do you have in your truck?

I can tell by the vin if you are not sure.

3d7hu18n22g118620

Thank you! You have a 4.7L engine with a 45rfe transmission and this transmission is fully electronic and when the transmission control module see a problem it will go into a limp in mode and will only have 2nd and 3rd gears in drive.

Lets try this - Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON(don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer or EVIC on some models, to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions!

p0037

Did it only have the one code? After it displays all the codes it will say done.

That code is for a O2 sensor and will not cause the shifting problem.

I am wondering if there is a P0700 stored.

did it twice thats the only code that showed up

After the problem happens would you be able to turn the truck off and check for codes again?

It should be storing a fault code if it goes into limp in unless the TCM is going down.

ok i guess we will try this anything else i need to check i just dont know whats going on

some times i turn right signal on and left starts signal

The turn signal problem is usually related to a multifunction switch(turn signal switch).

I have replaced a lot of them for this problem.

When the transmission acts up I would also like to know if the transmission will downshift into low when you pull the shift lever into manual low when going about 20 mph.

Let me know, thanks!

i can shift it in to low and nothing happens

Is there anymore codes?