Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1999 Dodge: Ram..pickup..Diesel engineElectric oil pressure guage

1999 Dodge 2500 Ram pickup...
1999 Dodge 2500 Ram pickup 5.9 24v Cummings Diesel engine
Electric oil pressure guage does not work. Is there any way to check the oil pressure sender? I got a used one, which showed 35lb at first then fell back to 0. Have 60 to 65 lb oil pressure when connected to filter. Voltage and resistance to sender check ok. Is this a problem with the ECM?
6/7/2010
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. This may be a problem with the PCM, or the connector/terminals at the sending unit. Now are you sure that you are replacing the oil pressure sending unit and not the map/boost sensor? The oil pressure sending unit is the sensor that is lower down on the engine block, and the map sensor is above the oil sending unit. They look similar and I have seen guys replace the wrong one, so double check that.

Chris

Yes, we replaced the right sensor. The plug to the sensor is fine, and I pulled the instrument panel out and checked the plugs behind that. Could changing the oil from synthetic to regular oil have caused a problem? What do you suggest next? Buy a new sensor for $200.00? There is no engine code.

Ok, just checking to make sure that you got the right sensor. Changing the oil from synthetic will not cause this. Is there any way you can get a scan tool connected to the truck? I would like to see if the scan tool will show the actual oil pressure value that the PCM sees. Some auto parts stores may rent one to you.

Chris

Chris,

I believe that I can get a scan tool to check this. The problem is that the truck is in Pa and right now I am in NY. We wanted to bring our rv up here, but since we had this problem with the truck, we left it in Pa. I only found out about this site recently, so what I would like to know is "Can we put this on hold until I go back to Pa on 6/30?" Once there I can check with the scanner and get back to you. Thanks!

Yes I can wait for you, Just reply back to this post (maybe save the email notification and just click on the link when you are ready to resume this).

Chris,

Chris

Chris,

I found somebody with a scan tool. It shows 99psi without engine running and same with sensor unplugged.

I'm now taking fuel filter off to check wire to ecm.

Any suggestions?

Hmm seems to me that if the ECM did see "99" psi, then the gauge would read high also. It is strange that it reads 99 with the sender disconnected. This may be n ECM problem like you are thinking. Do you have a wiring diagram for the oil pressure sending unit? If not I will send you one,

Chris

Chris,

I do have a wiring diagram, but please send a copy to compare--make sure it is the same.

Found a gray wire with black tracer that goes from the oil pressure sensor to the ecm. Am trying to get a reading on this wire, but can get nothing there to give me a good reading. Sometimes get a good reading, then other times no reading at all.

Ok, here is a diagram from the factory manual for you. Hope this helps,

Chris

ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (DIESEL) - 50 WAY
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1H104 18BR/ORIDLE VALIDATION SWITCH NO. 1
2K244 20YL/DBCUMMINS BUS (+)
3K6 18VT/WT5V SUPPLY
4K14 18BK/DBSENSOR GROUND
5F18 18LG/BKFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (ST-RUN)
6G60 18GY/BKENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
7K21 18BK/RDINTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
8G12 18GY/RDMANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
9K46 18TN/YLCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
10K7 18OR5V SUPPLY
11K104 18BK/LBB(+)
12K246 20YL/DGCUMMINS BUS (-)
13K242 20WTDATA LINK (+) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
14K2 18TN/BKENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
15K135 18YL/WTTRANSFER PUMP POWER SUPPLY
16H105 18LG/DBIDLE VALIDATION SWITCH NO. 2
17K124 18GYCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
18K48 18DGFAULT SIGNAL
19--
20--
21K1 18DG/RDWATER IN FUEL SENSOR SIGNAL
22--
23K240 20BKDATA LINK (-) FUEL INJECTOR PUMP
24--
25H102 18LB/BKACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
26G113 18ORPTO SWITCH SENSE
27--
28K22 18OR/DBTHROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
29S21 18YL/BKAIR INTAKE HEATER RELAY CONTROL NO. 1
30Z12 18BK/TNGROUND
31H101 18DB/WTACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR SUPPLY
32H103 18BK/YLACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR GROUND
33K45 18LB/RDKNOCK SENSOR RETURN
34K44 18VT/ORCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
35K135 18YL/WTTRANSFER PUMP POWER SUPPLY
36K131 18BR/WTFUEL INJECTOR PUMP RELAY CONTROL
37G85 18OR/BKWAIT-TO-START WARNING INDICATOR DRIVER
38D21 18PK/DBSCI TRANSMIT
39D20 18DGSCI RECEIVE
40D2 18WT/BKCCD BUS (-)
41D1 18VT/BRCCD BUS (+)
42K247 20LB/RDCUMMINS BUS SHIELD
43--
44K243 20OR/BRDATA LINK SHIELD FUEL INJECTOR PUMP
45K24 20GY/BKCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
46--
47S22 18OR/BKAIR INTAKE HEATER RELAY CONTROL NO. 2
48A14 18RD/WTFUSED B(+)
49Z12 18BK/TNGROUND
50A14 18RD/WTFUSED B(+)

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR (DIESEL) - 3 WAY
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
CG60 18GY/BKENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
BK104 18BK/LBB(+)
AK7 18OR5V SUPPLY

graphic

Chris,

All 3 wires from the oil pressure sensor check good. Are there any other wires I should check?

If I run the truck with a mechanical guagewill there be any problems? Engine stopping? reduced power?

No you can run a mechanical gauge with no engine stopping or reduced power. From what you have found so far it sounds like the ECM may be the problem, and connecting a mechanical gauge would be a lot cheaper.

Chris

Chris,

Do you also have a wiring diagram from the ecm to the oil pressure guage in the dash?

What woulod be your suggestion to do next?

Is there anyplace I could send the ecm to have it checked? I have it out.

Chris, Do you also have a wiring diagram from the ecm to the oil pressure guage in the dash?

What would be your suggestion to do next?

Is there anyplace I could have send the ecm to have it checked? I have it out.

There is no direct wiring from the ecm to the gauge. it is done over the PCI bus communication network. The PCI bus is the circuit that the various controllers use to communicate with each other (ECM,PCM,ABS, Instrument cluster etc.). Now it is possible that the cluster itself is failing and causing your problem. I have never seen this but it is possible. Try this for me with the ignition key off, press and hold the trip reset button on the cluster, then turn on the ignition. This should put the cluster into a self test mode. the gauges should all sweep, and the warning lights and the odometer display should cycle. Then at he end of the test there may be a code in the odometer display. If there is note it down. Check this and let me know what happens,

Chris

Chris,

Did as you suggested.All the guages did sweep and the warning lights cycled. There was no code.

Ok then the cluster is not the problem. Let me do a little more research on this and I will get back to you asap.

Chris

Chris,

We have heard nothing from you since July 7th. Can you be of any more help?

I'm sorry that I have not replied recently, but I did find a service bulletin that may apply to your truck. It involves having the PCM's software updated to a revised version. Here is a copy of the bulletin. Your Dodge dealer can do the update for you. Hope this helps,

Chris

NO: 08-22-99

SUBJECT: Intermittent Operation Of Oil Pressure Gauge

DATE: July 2, 1999

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (calibration changes).

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.9L CUMMINS 12 VALVE TURBO DIESEL ENGINE BUILT BEFORE JANUARY 5, 1998 (MDH 0105XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Oil Pressure gauge intermittently drops to zero pressure. In addition, the warning chime may sound when the oil pressure gauge drops to zero pressure and the check gauge lamp may come on.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Verify proper engine oil level.
  2. Remove the engine oil pressure sensor and install Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool C-3292 with a suitable adapter.
  3. Start the engine and warm to operating temperature.

CAUTION: IF ENGINE OIL PRESSURE IS ZERO AT IDLE, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE.

4. The minimum oil pressure at idle is 68.9 kPa (10 psi). If the pressure is below the specified value, refer to the Mechanical Diagnosis Charts - Diesel Engine located in the 1998 Ram Truck Service Manual, (Publication No. 81-370-8108), page 9-20 for information regarding diagnosis of low engine oil pressure.
  5. If the engine oil pressure is within the proper specifications, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: WHENEVER A POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) IS REPLACED DUE TO FAILURE, THE SOFTWARE OF THE REPLACEMENT CONTROLLER MUST BE VERIFIED FOR THE LATEST REVISION LEVEL. USE THE FLASH PROCEDURE TO UPDATE REPLACED CONTROLLERS AS NECESSARY.

PARTS REQUIRED:

QtyPart No.Description
104669020Label, Authorized Software Update
104275086Label, Authorized Modification

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

QtyPart No.Description
1C-3292Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool
1CH6000Scan Tool (DRB III®)
1CH7035General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)
1CH7000/7001J1962 Cable
1-MDS2

NOTE: THE MDS2 AND DRB III® ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM PART OF THIS REPAIR. THE MDS2 AND DRB III® MUST BE OPERATING AT CIS CD2032 OR HIGHER.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Log onto the MDS2 system.
  2. Connect the MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System) and DRB III® (Scan Tool) to the vehicle and switch the ignition key to "ON"
  3. Using the arrow keys, select #2 CONNECT TO MDS1 OR MDS2 on the DRB III® MAIN MENU SCREEN.
  4. Using the arrow keys, select #2 RUN MDS2 APPLICATION on the DRB III® MAIN MENU SCREEN.

NOTE: ONCE MDS2, DRB III®, AND VEHICLE COMMUNICATION HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED, THE CANNOT READ VIN FROM DRB III® MESSAGE (ON THE MDS2) WILL BE REPLACED BY THE VEHICLE VIN. PRESS THE "OK" BUTTON ON THE MDS2 TO REQUEST A MDS2 SESSION FOR THE VEHICLE VIN INDICATED. PRESS THE "OK" BUTTON WHEN ASKED TO BEGIN SESSION.

5. Push the FLASH tab on the MDS2.

NOTE: A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR THAT INDICATES NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. IF THIS OCCURS, MAKE SURE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT IS OPERATING AT THE LATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL AS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS BULLETIN. IF THE LATEST SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, AND NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE, ANOTHER VEHICLE CONDITION EXISTS THAT WILL REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

6. Select READ PART NUMBERS FROM VEHICLE and click SHOW UPDATES on the MDS2.

NOTE: A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR THAT INDICATES NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. IF THIS OCCURS, MAKE SURE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT IS OPERATING AT THELATEST SOFTWARE LEVEL AS LISTED EARLIER IN THIS BULLETIN. IF THE LATEST SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED, AND NO UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE, ANOTHER VEHICLE CONDITION EXISTS THAT WILL REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

7. Select the new software part number with the light pen and click UPDATE CONTROLLER SOFTWARE.
  8. The MDS2 and DRB III® will prompt for any operator action needed during the remainder of the reprogramming process.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.

9. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update Label" p/n 04669020 (Figure 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.
  10. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086 and attach the label near the VECI label (Figure 2).

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Op. No.Time
08-19-41-990.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:

CodeDescription
FMFlash Module

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman