Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2006 Ram 2500 Trailer Light Plug. Not getting fire to all

2006 Ram 2500 Trailer Light...
2006 Ram 2500 Trailer Light Plug. Not getting fire to all points on plug. Never used before and find we have running lights, right turn signal. Trailer plug works on other vehicles including Dodge trucks. Checked under hood fuses. Can't figure out what else to check
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2010
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
So is it just the left side that has the problem?

Yes. Right side brake and blinker are working

All the lights on the truck work correct?
Yes. It seems the problem is with the plug coming out of the truck. According to test light there is only fire to one pin in plug.
Are all the wires attached good to the plug and not corroded?
They look brand new. The wires coming to the plug are not showing hot, either. We were wondering if there is another fuse besides the ones under the dash that might be part of the problem

There are several fuses for the lights. Check fuses 12,15,19,25 under the hood.

graphic

We have checked those fuses. All are good. Thought maybe there was a relay or something located elsewhere that might affect wiring to plug.
They are built into the fuse box under the hood and can't be serviced short of replacing the fuse box (totally integrated power module)
If all the truck lights work, is that an indicator that this wouldn't be the problem?
No it could be the problem. What you may want to do is just splice into the rear light assembly on the truck and wire it from there instead of tracing the problem or replacing the module.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician