Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

98 dodge: rod & main bearings..318 v8 be replaced without removing

Customer Question
Can rod & main bearings...
Can rod & main bearings in a 98 dodge p/u with a 318 v8 be replaced without removing engine ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
4/29/2010
Dodge Mechanic: quickcar, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, the rod bearings can be replaced without pulling the motor but it would be very difficult to do the main bearings without pulling the motor and flipping it upside down. You got to remember that you have
to remove the crankshaft and the trans has to come out and I you attempted this with the engine in the truck it would take at least two people to handle the
crank without damaging it therefore I'd recommend pulling the engine it'll be
less hassle in the end.
Could the oil pump be the culprit from the overheating ? would it be possible to some how push upper half of main bearings out ?
I doubt the oil pump is causing it to overheat and it's probably a waterpump or radiator that's causing it to overheat. As for pushing the bearing out you can try to loosen all the caps and push them
out but be careful you don't knick the crank or
you'll have to replace it.
quickcar
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician