Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 Dodge RAM 1500: it barely starts and idles very rough../tps..psi

Customer Question
2003 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7l...
2003 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7l hemi All of a sudden it barely starts and idles very rough.
I have replaced plugs, electronic throttle housing w/TPS, checked fuel pressure (47 psi).
Not throwing any codes. What should I check next or any ideas?
Wanted to add that when you press on the accelerator it seems to run fine above 1800 rpm.
Sometimes when starting, I need to press the accelerator also.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/11/2010
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
You are describing a failing cam sensor or crank sensor. Until one fails they will test good so you have to wait until it fails or take a guess and replace one and hope for the best.
I replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor and it did not change anything
You may have a catalytic converter plugging up. Try disconnecting the exhaust pipe in front of the converter and see if it runs any better.
That appears to be difficult without cutting a pipe?
Any other ideas.
Any connection in front of the converter will work.....just loosen it
Seriously? We are talking the bolts that connect to the exhaust manifold?
graphic
What about just pulling the O2 sensor in the pipe in front of it?
You could try that. Not sure if that is a big enough leak or not but would be worth a try
I will have to try that tomorrow.
Not to deviate from your thought, but could this be a vacuum leak problem?
What would I check? I have sprayed around the injectors and manifold with
no changes. Another hose or connection I could check?
Also, does the 03 have a Idle Air Control?

Thanks for your help so far. I will make sure you get paid no matter what.
Kind of at my wits end with this.
No it does not have a idle air control motor. Also a vacuum leak will not cause the problem you described
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Jeff,

I have accepted the answer, but you should know the problem turned out to
be a broken spring on the intake valve on #5 cylinder. The intake was being held
open.
Thanks for the follow up......That is rare for one to break but it would certainly cause the problem
Actually, after doing some research, that appears to be a common problem on the hemi's.
Both on 03's and 04's. They mention something called the "hemi tick" which can
appear at almost anytime.
Not sure I would call it common.......but anyway glad you got it figured out
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician