Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Remove the alternator on a 1996 dodge grand caravan 3.3 litre engine?

How do I remove the...
How do I remove the alternator on a 1996 dodge grand caravan 3.3 litre engine?
12/29/2009
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

1. Disconnect battery ground cable, then the windshield wiper housing.
  2. Remove alternator belt, then the bolt holding top of alternator bracket to air intake plenum.
  3. Remove alternator bracket to mounting plate bolts, then the bolt holding top of alternator to bracket.
  4. Remove alternator mounting bracket, then rotate alternator toward rear of vehicle.
  5. Disconnect alternator electrical connections, then remove bolt from alternator pivot bracket.
  6. Remove alternator from vehicle.
  7. Reverse procedure to install.

graphic

You can remove the Wiper Module ( Cowl TUB) to get the Alternator Out without

fighting to take the Alternator out

The complete Cowl Tub comes out

1. With the windshield wipers in the "Park" position, disengage the clip holding the outside end of the wiper arm pivot cover to the wiper arm and lift the arm cap upward.

2. Remove the nut attaching the wiper arm to the wiper pivot.

3. Using a suitable 2 jaw puller, separate the wiper arm from the wiper pivot.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the other wiper arm.

5. Remove the screws attaching the lower area of the cowl cover to wiper module and disengage the quarter turn fasteners holding the outer ends of the cowl cover to the wiper module.

6. Open the hood and remove the wing nuts attaching the front of the cowl cover to the wiper module.

7. Lower the hood and remove the cowl cover outboard attaching screws.

8. Raise the right side of cowl cover and disconnect the washer hose from the right side washer nozzle.

9. Separate the cowl cover from the vehicle.

10. Open the hood.

11. Disengage the positive lock on the wiper module wiring connector and disconnect the engine wiring harness from the wiper module connector.

12. Disconnect the washer hose from the wiper module.

13. Disconnect the two drain tubes from the bottom of the wiper module.

NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE WIPER MODULE TO REST ON THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, DAMAGE TO THE BRAKE SYSTEM MAY RESULT.

14. Remove the nuts and bolts attaching the wiper module to the vehicle and separate the wiper module from the vehicle.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch