Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Fuses are good but have no power to my radio and interior dome light

Customer Question
all my fuses are good...
all my fuses are good but have no power to my radio and interior dome light
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
11/24/2009
Dodge Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Hi roelcorez, welcome to Just Answer!.

Dodge hid one fuse that you probably missed. It's called the ignition-off draw (IOD) fuse, located in the inside fuse box, the Junction Block. Look under the panel at the far left end of the dash...
graphic
The fuse is held inside a black colored fuse holder with tabs to make it easier to pull out of the block. Its purpose is to remove the slight electrical draws that some circuits have even with the key off, like radio (keeps time).

Pull the holder up, then unlatch and flip the fuse cover over to gain access to the 10-amp fuse inside. Since it also powers the cigar lighter, this is probably where it met its fate.

Thanks,
Ed
like i said all the fuses are good even the cig lighter fuse
My aplogies, this fuse does NOT service a cigar lighter or power outlet... I was working from memory, something not always reliable.

Were you able to confirm voltage to both sides of the #12 fuse inside the holder? Another fuse feed from underhood will feed THAT fuse, along with a decent length of wiring, so the fuse may be OK but the circuit is dead. You'll need to pull the holder out, flip the cover and reinstall the fuse and holder to be able to check circuit power.

Ed
how can the circuit be dead if the fuse is good thats where i am at now i've checked the fuses under hood also it seems as if something is disconnected the only thing i have'nt done is remove the dash and trace the wires
The fuse may be dead because it's fed from another location. Wiring between the underhood fuse block (PDC) and the JB could be broken or burned up. The #12 fuse location is central to the circuit, so finding out if power is present there will tell us which way to go.

Here are the other circuits the fuse feeds... just in case one or two may still operate.
graphic
Check a few of these other systems to see if they operate or if it's isolated to the radio and dome lamps. The ignition feed will be to power an illuminated "halo", but for nothing else.

Ed
would that be the yellow wire from jb to under hood and if not which circuit
The wiring color shows to be pink from the #12 fuse on (to the load circuits).

The feed from underhood comes from Fuse 1 (50 amp) but it feeds several other fuses in the JB besides #12 (1, 4 13, 14 & ckt breaker) so with all those other circuits working, we can concentrate on things inside the truck.

On the odd chance that the dome lamp and radio have coincidental failures not related to Fuse 12, check some of those other circuits in the last diagram I sent. If glove box, power mirrors, lighted mirrors (in visors), underhood lamp and truck bed lamp work (or any combination of those), it shows the circuit to be powered as it leaves the JB.

With the circuit being spliced at different points, it might tell us a little more abut what's going on.

Ed
let me check that and get back with you thanx
Talk later!
Ed
all the components in that circuit are dead but i have power coming out( pink wire with blk stripe) of JB inside truck going to some module by the clutch pedal after that i loose it ... but i feel we are getting closer
It does, doesn't it!

The diagram shows the wire to be simply pink with no tracer throughout the harness as it exits the JB, so the pink/ black wire won't be it.

It also shows a splice internal to the JB that splits power to the various places it serves, so with the entire M1 circuit deader-n-a-doornail, the problem appears to be within the JB itself.

Pull that #12 fuse out to check the terminals for burning or damage. You can have power on both sides of the fuse, yet not have it conduct power to the circuits if there's a spread terminal contact on the circuit side of the connection (just had one on an Intrepid). As a matter of fact, I removed a 1-legged fuse just a few months ago... an obvious sabotage job that was designed to show power on both sides of the fuse, yet pass no voltage.

Fuses can also fracture on the inside and not appear blown... because they're not. Fractures can happen from years of use and the marginal heating they develop at each run cycle and not look bad at all.

Ed
Dodgerench
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician