Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

How do you replace rear wheel bearing on 1993 dodge dakota

Customer Question
how do you replace rear wheel bearing on 1993 dodge dakota
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
11/23/2009
Dodge Mechanic: Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Hi my name is Jim,
Here is the procedure for removing the axle shaft assembly. If your bearing is pressed on to the axle you will need a bearing press and clamp to remove and install.
I usually send these out to a machine shop for about $40 , labor only, they will remove and install a new bearinng and seal for us. It can be dangerous trying to remove it without proper tools. Let me know if this answers your question. Jim

The 7 1/4 inch ring gear looks like a machine shop is required
The 8 1/4 may be a Chev type which requries a slide hammer to remove and a new seal . This you can do .. bearing is pressed into housing.
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
thank you Jim but too remove the axle do i just loosen the bolt two bolts for the axle
You have either a hole in the axle flange with , usually 4 nut/bolts or no external bolts holding the axle in place. If you see not bolts then the diff cover has to come off and remove the 1 bolt and then push the pin out. Try not to turn the ring gear.. I will check back after lunch. Jim
thanks jim i won't be able to fix untill 2morrow it is raining in new jersey thanks for your help.
Let me know how it goes. Jim
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician