Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan: DTC..instrument cluster..BCM..the PCM (

Customer Question

What could cause a DTC error "400.1 Improper Power Down Detected" (comes from the self test on my instrument cluster). The vehicle in question is a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan - 3.3L. Also, another question, if I replaced my BCM with another BCM of the same part number but from a different vehicle, will the mismatch with the PCM adversely affect the operation of the PCM (like the engine will not start now even though I reintalled the original BCM)?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. The error code 400.1 means that the battery was disconnected with the key in the run position. It should not be a cause for your problem. If your van has factory alarm, (which is in the BCM). then installing a BCM without factory alarm enabled (even though it is the same part #) will prevent a no start. Now you should be able to start the van by putting in the original BCM, opening the hood, and turning the lift gate lock to the unlock position. This should enable the alarm in the BCM. This is all under the assumption that your van has factory alarm, and that the original BCM is still good. If you are not sure if it is factory alarm, then send me your VIN # XXXXX I will look it up for you.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It worked! Now I still have the pproblem with the instrument cluster which is the reason I replaced the BCM in the first place. Should I "accept" the answer you just gave then start a new question or can I ask a follow up?
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

That's great! You can go ahead and ask me another question on this thread, but I may not be able to get back to you until I get home from work this evening,

Chris