Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience:  Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep
22395976

Hello, I have a 2005 dodge stratus, I got a code p0457 (

I have a 2005 dodge stratus, I got a code p0457 ( emissions control system leak cap loose or off). Is this that I can fix myself.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Stonyman replied 8 years ago.

Hi. Did this come on after a fill up?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not sure when it came up, my wife drives the car. She said it came up the day after she put gas
Expert:  Stonyman replied 8 years ago.

Check the cap for looseness. If that's not it. you will need to check for any cracked vacumm lines, a bad cap, or a leak in the eveporative emissions system.

This code is when the system sees a leak when self testing after it has seen a change in the fuel level sender voltage. So naturally it assumes a loose fuel cap.