DODGEEXPERT
DODGEEXPERT, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED AND MASTER CERTIFIED THROUGH DAIMLER CHRYSLER
9201135

2001 Dodge Dakota: A rebuilt 4.7L engine is expensive..engine replaced

A rebuilt 4.7L engine is expensive! Is there a more cost effective way to get the engine replaced in my 2001 Dodge Dakota? Can I exchange the engine with a cheaper 5.7 or 5.9 engine.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  DODGEEXPERT replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your post. Well my friend you got a few options you could go used from a wrecking yard,buy a remanufactured,or buy aftermarket rebuilt. There are numerous risks to these options. If you go wrecking yard there is usually only 90 days warranty if you go reman then the warranty ranges from 1-3 years parts only. If you go new it is way more expensive but the warranty would be 3/36000 miles parts and labor. If you need the truck and plan to keep it for a while longer I would go aftermarket rebuilt which means a company other than chrysler/dodge that rebuilds these motors. This option would be cheaper than buying from the dealer and the warranty would be around the same anyway. So to answer your question the best option would be to aftermarket remanufactured. The only place that comes to mind is LKQ auto recyclers and remans. As for your other thought about swapping out the engine for a 5.7/5.9 this would be way more expensive and time consuming.