Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

i have a 1992 dodge dakota with an rh46 transmission which

Customer Question
irebuilt once and it worked...
i have a 1992 dodge dakota with an rh46 transmission which irebuilt once and it worked okay except it would only shift to low manually i later discovered was a faulty governor;i subsquently had it rebuilt again at first it would shift into overdrive&torque convertor lockup when it was cold as soon as it warmed up it would drop to 3rd gear &stay there;nowit only shift three gears any ideas ps according to my cheap manual there are four electricl componets which could cause the problem but it does not give any test procedures
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/2/2009
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
this tsb may help ,do you know if the valve body was also overhall, see this tsb.
Notes

Date: 1996

Technical Bulletin # XXXXX

^Transmission
A500

^Subject:
No 4th gear after rebuild

^Application:
Chrysler/Dodge

A5OO

No 4th Gear After Rebuild

Many repair manuals (including those from Chrysler) have an improper illustration of the 3-4 timing valve line up. If the valve is installed backward, the result will be no fourth gear (even though the computer is supplying the proper ground signal). The proper way to assemble the 3-4 timing valve is spring first then the valve.

ricardo in my inital question i indicated that at first it did shift to ovfrdrive until it warmed up so i dont think that is the problem; as imentioned i think the problem is in the electronic controls but i can not check them as idont have the test parameters it would be helpful if i could get this information

ok let me look it up.
i have this but i am looking for something easier....
Notes
1.Turn on the ignition. Make sure 12 volts are present at the center terminal (dark blue wire) of the transmission connector. If not, check fuses, fusible links, A/C clutch relay, ignition switch, etc.

2.With 12 volts applied to the center wire of the transmission connector, connect a jumper wire from ground to the front terminal.

3.If fourth gear does not work, the solenoid may be bad or the problem is hydraulic or mechanical.

4.If fourth gear operates, the problem is electrical or computer related. See appropriate test under Computer Test.

COMPUTER TEST

TYPE I, turn on the ignition. Insure that the overdrive cancel switch is off. Check for five volts at the orange/white (pin 38). If no voltage is present, check the overdrive cancel module. See Component Tests. If five volts are present, check the operation of the TPS, coolant temperature sensor, vehicle speed sensor and park/neutral switch. See Component Tests.

Type II, turn on the ignition. Ensure that the overdrive cancel switch is off. Back-probe (tap into wire if necessary) orange/white wire (pin 44) at the 60-pin PCM connector. There should be zero volts. Turn on the overdrive cancel switch. Pin 44 should now have five volts (12 volts on some models). If the circuit does not work as described, check the overdrive cancel module. See Component Tests. If the circuit operates, but the overdrive solenoid does not work, check the operation of the TPS, coolant temperature sensor, vehicle speed sensor or park/neutral switch. See Component Tests.

Type III and 1992 Dakota, turn on the ignition. Ensure that the overdrive cancel switch is off. Back-probe the PCM terminals 55 and 37. There should be 12 volts present at both terminals. If there is no voltage at terminal 55, check the circuit between the PCM and the overdrive cancel switch or overdrive cancel module. See Component Tests.

Back-probe the PCM at terminal 10. Check for 12 volts with the overdrive cancel switch off and zero volts with the overdrive cancel switch on. If the voltage at terminal 10 does not work as described, check the overdrive cancel switch or overdrive cancel module.

If the voltage works as described, but the overdrive does not work, check the TPS, engine coolant temperature sensor, vehicle speed sensor and park/neutral switch. See Component Tests.

here is more.
Notes
Throttle Position Sensor:
Back-probe the TPS signal return wire at the PCM pin 22 (orange/dark blue wire). There should be .5-1.5 volts at closed throttle and 3.4-4.2 volts at W.O.T. If not, check the related circuits or replace TPS.

Coolant temperature Sensor:
Disconnect the sensor. Measure the resistance across the sensor terminals. At 70°F, resistance should be 7,000-13,000 ohms. At 200°F, resistance should be 700-1,000 ohms. If not, replace the sensor.

Oil Temperature Switch:
Switch should be open below 270°F and closed above 270°F.

Overdrive Switch:
All switches work by momentarily making contact to ground with the signal wire coming from the overdrive cancel module or PCM. See diagrams under Operation for typical switch circuits.

VSS:
Back-probe PCM pin 48 on TYPE I (or PCM pin 47 on all others). Turn on the ignition and raise the drive wheels. The voltmeter should pulse as the wheels are turned.

Overdrive Cancel Module:

On TYPE I, disconnect the overdrive cancel module. Check for battery voltage at the overdrive control module pin five (to PCM), pin six (from the overdrive solenoid) and pin seven (from the ignition fuse). If no voltage is present, check these circuits. Ensure pin four has continuity to ground. On modules with a transmission oil temperature sensor, make sure the circuit between pin seven and the sensor is not shorted to ground. If no problems are found, replace the overdrive control module.

On TYPE II, ensure that battery voltage is present at the overdrive control module pin four (from ignition fuse). If not, repair the ignition feed circuit. Make sure pin two (black wire) has continuity to ground. Back-probe pin three (orange/white wire). Turn off the overdrive cancel switch. There should be zero volts. Turn on the overdrive cancel switch. There should be 12 volts present. If the module does not work as described, test the overdrive cancel switch. See Component Tests. On models with a transmission temperature switch, make sure the circuit between pin four and the sensor is not shorted to ground. If no problems are found, replace overdrive control module.

On TYPE III, disconnect the overdrive switch. Continuity should be present between pins three and one when the button is pushed. Apply 12 volts to pin six, and ground pin one. The overdrive cancel bulb should be on. Apply 12 volts to pin four and ground pin one. The overdrive-cancel illumination bulb on the dash should come on.

On 1992 Dakota, disconnect the overdrive cancel module. Ensure that the 12 volts are present at pins six and two. Ensure that the 12 volts are present at pin three. Make sure no continuity is present when oil temperature is less than 270°F, and continuity is present when oil temperature is more than 270°F, and continuity is present when oil temperature is more than 270°F. Turn off the ignition. Make sure voltage switches from high to low as the overdrive cancel switch is pushed. If the overdrive cancel module does not work as described, replace it.

Notes

TECHNICAL BULLETIN # XXXXX

DATE: Sep. 1992

TRANSMISSIONS: All Electronically Shifted Units

SUBJECT: Intermittent Electrical Problems

APPLICATION: All Electronically Shifted Units

Intermittent Electrical Problems

Wrong gear starts, no upshift, no downshift, falling out of 4th gear, etc may be caused by poor grounds. This applies to any electronically shifted unit, import or domestic.

To test for a poor ground, connect the black lead of your digital voltmeter directly to the negative battery post and probe the suspect ground wire with the positive lead. A good ground will read 0.1 volts or less. More than 0.1 volts is a poor ground. Keep in mind the circuit must be operating to accurately check the ground.

Using a service manual for the vehicle you are working on, locate the transmission computer ground circuit. In the example shown, B and D are the grounds. Now with the vehicle running in gear, backprobe B and D with the positive lead. Make sure the negative lead is hooked directly to the NEGATIVE BATTERY POST. The voltmeter must read 0.1 or less.

ricardo how do i identify ''type 1" also where is the overdrive control module located

Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
Notes
Overdrive Lockout Transmission

hey i notice you keep loosing the pages but its not on my side you must have some kind of a blocking security system or fire wall preventing the downloads , my suggestion is to copy or print all the info. i have send to you, i am steel trying to downlod a picture of the overdrive module but i have to locate it, i am going home know, i will have it for you tonigth here in conecticut is 6pm i will try arround 8pm .

ricardo i drive truck on a partime basis so i was gone for a week then the day igot back my internet providers tower collapsed so ididnt get back to you i appreciate the info so far but you apparently didnt get my one request about where to get a useful manual

fred

can you try know/

ricardo re tranns problem i still have not received an answer about a manual; also most of the illustrations you sent me did not come through

respectfully

fred

ricardo

im not trying to cheat you out of your money but still no response on where can i get a decent manual on this trans

thank you fred

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech