Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 Dodge: RT..trim, wheel size, tires etc. between the two models…

I purchased a 2008 Dodge...
I purchased a 2008 Dodge Nitro RT model. However, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) indicates it is an Nitro SRT model. There are significant differences in engine sizes, trim, wheel size, tires etc. between the two models.
When my Nitro RT is serviced, will there be a problem as the parts are linked to the VIN number which is not the model I have purchased?
9/12/2009
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
if you will give me the vin number I will check to see for sure what you have. you may just have the wrong name plate on the car. the srt is worth a lot more money so if they sold you a srt for the price of a rt then you really made out.
I've alreadly had Chrysler/Dodge Canda check the VIN number and it definitely links to the Dodge Nitro SLT model (in my initial question I made a mistake and said it was an SRT model instead of the SLT model). From my research, it seems all the Dodge Nitros are built in Toledo Ohio.
The Canadian market Dodge Nitro RT model is the top of the line of the Dodge Nitro. The one I purchased included the complete options package. You can check the details on the website, here is the link: http://www.dodge.ca/en/nitro/
They keep telling me there is no difference between the SLT and the RT models. But if the VIN is linked to ordering replacement parts, isn't there there problem of getting incorrect parts because the VIN shows it as the SLT? Apparently, it is the 11th digit in the VIN number which indicates the model type. In my case that digit is a W. Just from a common sense point of view, that digit should be different between the two models.
Hope this provides enough info for a reply.
You wont have any problem the slt and rt are the same car. the srt is a lot different. so you wont have any problem getting the right part.the Rt is just a different trim package and the reat of the car is the same.
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
It looks like the Nitro SRT isn't available in Canada. I'm still not convinced that there won't be problems in the future with servicing and ordering parts. But thank you for your prompt response. It at least gives me an objective third-party opinion about my concern. I'll just have to be on top of the issue in the future to make sure the dealership service department take a bit of extra attention about this matter.
Again, thanks for your quick response.
your welcome